Wanting to join the CF need some advice on how to approach this

Riddell10

My names Jonathon Riddell, and joining the military, and making it a career is my goal in life.
I'm 16, and my mom has agreed to give me parental consent to join at 17, and living in ontario the goverment has agreed to let me leave school to apply.
The CF site doesn't offer alot of info, on what they are looking for and I was just wondering on first hand experience, if there are any tiny things I need to do or say to make this process go easier.

I'm in good enough shape to qualify, my criminal record is clean, I have a grade 10 education ( i want to join the infantry so thats acceptable), but i don't have anyone impressive for them to call and tell them I'm legit.

In my interview ( if i make it that far ) do i tell them I wish to pursue being in SF later in my career? Or is that to much, because i know some people would take that the wrong way and see me as a person who doesn't understand what I'm getting into.

Thankyou for any useful comments :)

First of all, welcome aboard.

Glad to hear that you're looking at joining the CF. We can always use more troops. :D

Now, onto my advice. First and foremost...graduate from High School. Yes, you can apply with a Grade 10 education, and if you really want to serve right at 17, join the Reserves and then move onto the Regular Force after graduation if you're so inclined. If by chance the CF doesn't work out for you, getting stuck in the civilian world with only a Grade 10 education will not be pleasant. And also, if you want to continue your education, the CF will subsidize it.

As far as your interview goes...just answer the questions that they ask you honestly. If something comes up about being in the Special Operations Forces (don't call it SF), by all means, say something to your interviewer. They'll most likely look at it as you wanting to challenge yourself. Just don't walk in there with a "I'm only joining to be in JTF2" attitude. Chances are, you won't get a call back. Also, know the basics of the job you're applying for. You can get that from the recruiting site, or you can physically go to a CFRC and ask them for some information. Guaranteed, they'll be happy to help.

As for the fitness, keep at it. If you can reach a high level of physical fitness right off the bat, your training will be that much easier because you won't have to struggle to keep up.

For your references, you don't need to put down "someone impressive". A teacher, a civilian boss (if you have one), your school principal, etc...essentially, anyone who sees you often enough to actually be able to say something about you.

I think that's about it. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

Cheers, and good luck with your future career.

First of all, welcome aboard.

Glad to hear that you're looking at joining the CF. We can always use more troops. :D

Now, onto my advice. First and foremost...graduate from High School. Yes, you can apply with a Grade 10 education, and if you really want to serve right at 17, join the Reserves and then move onto the Regular Force after graduation if you're so inclined. If by chance the CF doesn't work out for you, getting stuck in the civilian world with only a Grade 10 education will not be pleasant. And also, if you want to continue your education, the CF will subsidize it.

As far as your interview goes...just answer the questions that they ask you honestly. If something comes up about being in the Special Operations Forces (don't call it SF), by all means, say something to your interviewer. They'll most likely look at it as you wanting to challenge yourself. Just don't walk in there with a "I'm only joining to be in JTF2" attitude. Chances are, you won't get a call back. Also, know the basics of the job you're applying for. You can get that from the recruiting site, or you can physically go to a CFRC and ask them for some information. Guaranteed, they'll be happy to help.

As for the fitness, keep at it. If you can reach a high level of physical fitness right off the bat, your training will be that much easier because you won't have to struggle to keep up.

For your references, you don't need to put down "someone impressive". A teacher, a civilian boss (if you have one), your school principal, etc...essentially, anyone who sees you often enough to actually be able to say something about you.

I think that's about it. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

Cheers, and good luck with your future career.

thanyou for your advice, also is this any schooling required for any jtf2 operatives? its really far off i know but its a question that never seems answer, would a gr 10 cut it?
and as for staying in school, the school has agreed to let me stay until I get accepted, or let me go and work on whatever i feel needed till i do so that option is always open

Greatly appreciate your advice :)

hi to ever one solder

army is somthing that ever seen i was born but never gate the chan to join when i was inthe us i dont know when am i going back but if i ever get the chans to go back i realy want to be one i just need some help to get back their
:crybaby:

thanyou for your advice, also is this any schooling required for any jtf2 operatives? its really far off i know but its a question that never seems answer, would a gr 10 cut it?
and as for staying in school, the school has agreed to let me stay until I get accepted, or let me go and work on whatever i feel needed till i do so that option is always open

Greatly appreciate your advice :)

A Grade 10 education is acceptable for most trades within the CF, including the Infantry as you've indicated before. However, if you do decide to join the Regular Force with only a Grade 10, you'll find that you're one of only a few that haven't finished at least high school. In today's CF, it's extremely common to find an Infantry Private that holds a Bachelors or even a Masters degree. So again I recommend to stay in school until graduation. That being said, if you join the Reserves first, you'll have an opportunity to do both.

A Grade 10 education is acceptable for most trades within the CF, including the Infantry as you've indicated before. However, if you do decide to join the Regular Force with only a Grade 10, you'll find that you're one of only a few that haven't finished at least high school. In today's CF, it's extremely common to find an Infantry Private that holds a Bachelors or even a Masters degree. So again I recommend to stay in school until graduation. That being said, if you join the Reserves first, you'll have an opportunity to do both.

Im strongly considering it, the school offered to pay for class's to be sent to me and give me time to complete it within 4 months, and i just mail my work in whenever were ever i am, i know getting accepted at that point would cut that off but its an option i'll have in the future

Back