Want to Joining the Army (finally)

Bugfatty

I've been out of high school for two years now and attending college and am a semester away from getting my associates degree in Criminal Justice.

Since high school I've neglected myself and I'm out of shape and a little chubby. 5' 6" 200 Ibs. Not a good weight index. So I no doubt need to get in shape.

There is a recruiting station near my house but I really don't want to go into it before asking advise on what I should do/think about before hand.

Thanks in advance.

Time to hit the gym and the track.

Start running about 20 minutes per day for the first week and increasing it to 30 minutes per day there after that.

Also, start doing pushups and situps.

WATCH WHAT YOU EAT!!! If you want to get healthy, you can't be eating as much and as bad. You can go online and get some great meal tips to loose the wait to help you with your workouts.

Good luck

^^^ What he said... there is no way around it... exercise and lots of it while reducing your food intake.

some simple things you can do that helps a lot, do like 100 pushups/situps before you go to bed at night, makes you stronger and tires you out so you pass out, i lost like 5lbs like that over 2months. it just helps ya out a lot too.

I think u should go into the recruiter's office and talk with him..
if your scared to talk to a recruiter, think how u will do when ur in the army.. so yeah id go talk to him..

exercise and reduce food intake or eat 5 small meals a day.. drinking green tea instead of coffee is good also, raises metabolism and such..
since ur out of shape.. i say instead of jogging, maybe walk first.. walk like 2 miles first, then few more..
like ask ur parent to drive u 1-2 miles from home, they drop u off, and it makes u walk home.. lol!! thats one motivative way.. and motivation is key to success!

Well, if you're going to college you could do what I did first semester (I'll admit, it was an accident.) I scheduled my classes on the opposite side of campus, being one of the largest campus in the country (in terms of are, not enrollment.) I walk a good distance everyday, I wore a.... whatever they're called that measure how far you have walked on a wednesday, my busiest day, and I walked almost three miles that day.

When I graduated from high school I was 6' 165 lbs, after having knee surgery I almost reached the 200 lbs. mark and was hovering just above 190 when I started classes, I weighed myself a couple days ago, I was down to 180. I lost ten pounds in two months by merely having a schedule that made me walk that little extra to class. Now losing the weight alone doesn't automatically mean you are in good shape, I am still carrying 15 extra pounds with me everywhere I go, it's especially noticable when I try to run and jump, I am still trying to rebuild the muscles in my left leg and knee, so not only do I have less muscle mass at my disposal I also have more "relaxed muscle" built up (fat). But losing the weight is a good first step, makes it much easier when you do start running and working out.

But of course if you live off campus this doesn't do you any good.

I don't live that far from campus. Just a 5 minute drive. I think I'll just start walking/jogging to campus and back.

I know the Marine recruiters here have a PT program and work with people who are out of shape. But I'm not sure about the Army. I'll have to go and find out.

Last edited:
Well, the local recruiting office is gone.

Guess I'll have to call the 1800 number. Anyone know of a site that lists the addresses of recruiting offices?

Yes they do and you can also retake it after you are in. I scored much higher on the real test over the practice test. Your goal is to score a 51 or higher so you get the GI Bill kicker. A 110 score will allow you to do any job in the army as long as you meet the other requirements. A 110 GT is approximately a 63ish on the ASVAB.

Cool. I want to go ahead and get the ASVAB out of the way, but I want to wait a while longer to get in shape so I won't end up in the "fat boy" program.

I am currently getting ready to go in to the army. I am 33 and alittle out of shape but not bad. I started by cutting beer, fast food, and all pre sweetend drinks out. I made my portions about 1/2 what they were and made my smallest meal dinner. I started running as Team Infidel suggeted, 20 minutes to start and then moved up from there. After the third week in I was running 40 minutes every other day and started doing 45 sittups and push ups before my runs. I have lost 15 pounds and I am down to 200 at 6'1/2 tall. I get up at 5 in the morning and just go after it singing the cadence from full metal jacket in my head and out loud. It will help with the lung capacity. Good luck and for all that may be wondering I should know more on the 10th.

Time to up those push-ups and situps to muscle failure and then run little bro.

I'm 38 and still 15 pounds too heavy (different standards for prior service) and cant exercise outdoors here due to the air pollution. But after just a couple months back on the treadmill I am running 4.5 miles three times a week and 2.0 miles twice a week between and was able to beat the minimum time for basic graduation for an 18 year old last week. Its all in your head bugfatty, you can do it, just get pissed and don't try just do it. And anybody who gives you grief or says you cant do it... tell em to kiss your :cen: and then get back at it.

As for me I'll be scoring 300 on the damn thing as graded for an 18 year old, no way I let anyone have the chance to say it was only 300 because the standards are lower for my age... screw them.

33?! I went to Basic with a 35y/o they put him in charge of us, as if he didnt have enough to worry about. The Army was checking to see if he was worth the effort. There was no way he could keep up with us but they already knew that, they wanted to see if he would make a good soldier. He did just fine. Relearn to listen to and follow orders, no matter how dumb it seems at the time.

Last edited:
Oops, this information is a little old, I didn't notice that there were two pages, so I responded to the last post on page one.

Back