I want to join the MC, but my school doesnt offer JROTC...

JMac

My school doesnt offer JROTC, but i am really interested in the Military (specifically the Marines) any tips or things that i could do to prepare before i can enter?

just get in shape and run, do pullups and situps. be able to run 1.5mi minimum, the DI's will train you to run the other 1.5mi. be able to do atleast 3pullups, but you will leave boot camp doing 15 minimum. and 50 situps minimum. thats what you need to be able to do to get in. but if you want to be ready to go when you get in and not be struggling w/ the PT, train yourself w/o any type of protein shakes or kryoteen or however you spell it to run 5mi., do 20pullups and do 150situps. if you can do that when you enter you will be money through out and not have any huge physical problems. other than that start talking to a recruiter or whatever and he will be able to help you out furthur

JMac said:
My school doesnt offer JROTC, but i am really interested in the Military (specifically the Marines) any tips or things that i could do to prepare before i can enter?
Sorry what is JROTC?

FutureDevilDog said:
I heard Creatin isn't good for people who want to build endurance and such. It's only good for getting big muscles.

Yes and no. Creatine is better for sprinters, as opposed to long distance runners. It is great for giving you a little extra energy (ATP to ADP back to ATP). It isn't going to hurt you if you're taking it while working on your distance, but don't expect it to give you much improvement. You'd be better off with a balanced diet.

Creatine isn't an automatic problem fixer either. The basic principle to understand is that creatine can make more energy available to the muscles. That extra energy can be used to increase training intensity and duration, which will improve overall performance. So the key is in the training.

The real problem comes in trying to balance building endurance and building muscles at the same time. When you want to build muscles, you need to put on mass, but when you're running and trying to do this, you generally cannot find a way to get enough protein, calories, etc. to pack on the mass. Creatine is good for muscle building, but studies have shown a less than 5% gain in long distance running.

There are some side effects to creatine though, headaches, stomach cramps and dehydration being the three most frequent. Usually you can avoid all of these by drinking a lot of water and staying hydrated.

I don't use Creatine at all. I drink a Weight Gainer, Protein suppliments, and I eat as healthly as possible. But the only thing I can think that's helped me get where I am is pushing myself and getting out there and doing it.

PJ24 said:

There are some side effects to creatine though, headaches, stomach cramps and dehydration being the three most frequent. Usually you can avoid all of these by drinking a lot of water and staying hydrated

the reason it causes dehydration is b/c it pumps your muscles full of water so that they can use more energy, so if you dont drink tons of water w/ it, you will suffer dehydration more easily

MilidarUSMC said:
the reason it causes dehydration is b/c it pumps your muscles full of water so that they can use more energy, so if you dont drink tons of water w/ it, you will suffer dehydration more easily

Yes, water bloat, that's also where much of the weight gain comes from during your loading period.

To go into the Marines you dont need a JROTC whenever you go to college just join their ROTC. Im not going to pretend that I know everything about it cuz I dont know that much about it. Personaly ive been interested in the Air Force so I have been looking into that but ya just get in great shape before you get shipped off to basic and you should do fine.

JMac said:
While in High School, exercise as much as you can and go out for cross-country track. JROTC really isn't that big a step up to the pipeline for Marine Corps officers...it's a little wussy...... Get on track to officer-land while attending college by joining the college ROTC program. Continue your exercise and stamina training regimen while taking the necessary classes to set you up for Marine Corps Officer commissioning (check with Marine recruiting to find out what is required). I believe you will find that there is a small price tag attached to Uncle Sam paying for your education within ANY officer training program - it's called 'putting in the time' (X years of service for Y amount of schooling).

Thanks alot Bones!

Yea, the price tag doesnt really concern me as much, i just wanna make sure that i can hack it at OCS!

Back