Want to become a chaplain - any tips?

Yin717

Hi guys!

Well as you may well know I want to become a chaplain. Army or RAF not to sure yet but I'll decide once ordained. The army have actually been very helpful and given me good advice on how to get in. But I guess what I really want to know is, what is expected of me? I mean the site told me what qualities I need and I feel I have them but there is a difference between the qualities you need and how to use them. So to those who have served, how important is the chaplain, or padre, and what personally would you expect from them? I really want to bring support to people who do a job I could never do myself!

Yin

Dear Yin,

Go with the Army rather than the RAF, if you like work. If not,
go with the aforementioned civilians in uniform :santa:

I think a good Padre is one who isn't too removed from the ordinary troops so as to be too aloof or "Sir" like, but not too much one of the boys that he gets into trouble or is compromised. That's a knack you have naturally or learn with experience. Above all accept and help every soldier in your care regardless of what he/she is like, believes or doesn't believe. Give your troops support, loyalty and humour and you'll receive many blessings in return.

Best wishes for what may lay ahead for you.

From what I have seen chaplains are very nice people who want to help. They act like pastors minus all the preaching.

I had a chaplain who saved a group of us out on a range. We had shot all day and all night and were still shooting the next day. We were exhausted and were supposed to be giving classes when we weren't on the firing line. But instead we were leaning against our rucks BSing. He warned us that our Bn commander was coming and told us to pull out a book and start a class. When our Colonel walked up the chaplain smiled at him and told him we had been doing a great job. Our Colonel gave us a hooaaah and walked off.

I have never had to utilize a chaplain myself but I know people who have and they were taken care of.

Back