In wake of Iraq war, allies prefer China to U.S. - Page 5




 
--
In wake of Iraq war, allies prefer China to U.S.
 
July 4th, 2005  
Strongbow
 
 
In wake of Iraq war, allies prefer China to U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN
This is BS. Every Superpower in the history of mankind spen sometime telling everyone why its better than them. So what? The reasons for hatred towards America are much deeper than people thinking they are arrogant.
Ok Moderator. Tell us some of these reasons.
July 6th, 2005  
Lord Londonderry
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop

I too have spent time in other parts of the world and I still prefer the U.S. to any of them. Still, I am not about to go around pointing out what I don't like about any of them. Especially not here on these forums.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't equate the U.S. to Nazi Germany. That is stepping over the line Kiwi. I would rather not spend time listening to those who let no opportunity go by to criticize the country I live in. It is getting to be a bit much. It's called country bashing and it is not allowed on these forums. To make it perfectly clear, this is a warning to you to cease such comments.
Problems? PM me.
Yes and oddly enough I prefer New Zealand to every other country I have lived in as well, its only natural for people to share this belief about their own country regardless of where they live.

I have responded to the rest of your post in the PM as requested however I really do think you should read the post a little closer than you obviously have.
We all love our own country. That's quite understandable.

Comparing Nazi germany with the US is going way over the top!!
July 7th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTop

I too have spent time in other parts of the world and I still prefer the U.S. to any of them. Still, I am not about to go around pointing out what I don't like about any of them. Especially not here on these forums.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion but don't equate the U.S. to Nazi Germany. That is stepping over the line Kiwi. I would rather not spend time listening to those who let no opportunity go by to criticize the country I live in. It is getting to be a bit much. It's called country bashing and it is not allowed on these forums. To make it perfectly clear, this is a warning to you to cease such comments.
Problems? PM me.
Yes and oddly enough I prefer New Zealand to every other country I have lived in as well, its only natural for people to share this belief about their own country regardless of where they live.

I have responded to the rest of your post in the PM as requested however I really do think you should read the post a little closer than you obviously have.
We all love our own country. That's quite understandable.

Comparing Nazi germany with the US is going way over the top!!
Can I suggest you actually look at the post concerned as the word "Nazi" was DTops emotive creation and Germany was only used in the post as that was one of the countries I had lived in, not to mention Germany has fought more than one war in the last century and very few of them were nazi's.

So to be blunt... There was NO comparison between Nazi Germany and the US it was an emotive extrapolation of a sentence taken out of context, my advice is to not use others interpretations as the basis of a post as you may end up barking up the wrong tree.
--
In wake of Iraq war, allies prefer China to U.S.
July 7th, 2005  
DTop
 
 
Are we going to have to go over this again Monty? My interpretation of what you said was neither emotive nor an extrapolation. You made a misplaced statement and if it was mine I'd own up to it. I don't know how you'd expect any other interpretation of
"My personal opinion is that having lived for short periods of time in Britain, Germany, Spain and the US that none of these countries are any better nor any worse than the other, they all have their good points and bad points the only difference is that the British, Germans and Spanish don't spend their time telling me how great they are and hence we co-exist in relative harmony (well the Germans tried to but didn't get the very far)."
If you were not referring to Nazi Germany, then who, pray tell might you have been talking about? I merely pointed out the obvious and outrageous comparison you made. No extrapolation necessary in my opinion. If your intention was not to compare the U.S. to Nazi Germany, you made a poor choice of words.
July 7th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
but it isn't a direct comparison between nazi germany and the US. i can see why monty is getting so fustrated! you're so damn sensitive & defensive!
July 7th, 2005  
DTop
 
 
Direct or indirect, the comparison is still there. Now who's being overly sensitive chewie? I think Monty is quite capable of replying on his own. What's truly frustrating is the "overly sensitive American" redundant line that you seem so fond of using whenever a reply to one of your statements is made. Sorry, but if I feel anyone is negatively and unfairly comparing any country to a Nazi regime, I'm going to point it out and if it concerns the U.S. specifically, yeah I might be a bit defensive. So what?
You see it gets quite tiresome to keep hearing how bad you think Americans are. Everything from our foreign policies to the way we speak, to our music has been criticized. So, what would you expect?
If you can't have an mature discussion about it, I suggest you stay out of it all together.
July 7th, 2005  
chewie_nz
 
replied in PM form
July 7th, 2005  
Redneck
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
***this isn't neccisarily directed at you Dtop, but it's a rant i've been meaning to write for a while***

well then, i'm sure their are many other forums where you can stick your fingers in your ears and pretend that everyone loves the US. the fact is that not everyone likes the US, or it's cultural, political, finacial & military dominance over the rest of us. tiresome??!! well now, i would've thought that you could always give the time you see fit to something you consider tiresome....why not just ignore it. ever think that people may just be posting to get a rise out of some one?
suck it up.
this is an INTERNATIONAL miltiary forum and you are going to get opinions that clash with your own...h**l you might get opinions that you cant stand, but argue you case and be done with it. and this goes out to any of the ultra nationalistic forum members out their too. at the logo in the top corner it says "fight wars with wisdom", wisdom is not sticking your head in the sand and pretending everything is fine!

personally i think that the dissenting opinion of one (or two) people from a small peaceful south pacific nation wouldn't matter enough to rile you. ESPECIALLY if you're in the right. maybe we've been hitting close to home?

***once again, appoligies but i have been sitting on this for a while, i kow that accord can be reached because i have done it myself with another of my "adversaries" on this forum. it's late and i'm going to bed***
And yet in all that time of sitting on it you failed to squeeze it through the spell-check.

Stay on-topic, any issues with how this forum is run or issues with warnings will be taken up through PMs to the forum staff. Or, if you feel your internet freedom of gab is being somehow violated by not being allowed to vent your frustrations (passive aggressively or not) on the open forum, feel free to this once open a thread about it in the Forum Questions forum.

And we (the forum staff) can see about as far through a brick wall as the next group of guys, and just because a certain poster/s does not openly state, "country x is a bunch of Nazis and I think they've got stinky-pants," we are in fact capable of recognizing obvious implications. DO NOT ATTACK OTHER NATIONS ON THESE FORUMS, either with direct or indirect fire. State your case openly, without the poorly thought out cheap shots, and in such a manner as to generate a mature and responsible discussion.
July 7th, 2005  
DTop
 
 
Yes chewie this is an international military forum not a forum for bashing other countries in the name of ultra liberalism. Your "my way or the highway" attitude is what is tiresome. If you can't distinguish between bashing and expressing an opinion as part of a discussion then I feel quite sorry for you. Bullying other people is not going to change their opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
so, in this case i beleive you are wrong, the way I read it it was no where even close to comapring nazi germany to the US.
That statement is one of opinion and you're entitled to believe what you wish and I'm sure I won't change your mind. My opinion is different, I believe you are wrong at least in the manner in which it was written. Besides, this is MonyB's statement and if he didn't intend it to be interpreted the way some of have, then I'm sure he'll be around to say so. I hope he does explain to me what the actual reason was for choosing the words he did.

I don't pretend that everyone loves the U.S.. If that were the case, we wouldn't have to deploy our military to defend our interests. The fact of the matter is that our country cannot isolate itself from the rest of the world.
The reason I don't choose to ignore it is probably the same reason you don't choose to ignore it. I don't believe the United Sates wishes to dominate New Zealand. Do you really believe that

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
ever think that people may just be posting to get a rise out of some one?
suck it up.
Yeah, I do think that and guess what? That's the very definition of trolling and that's against the forum rules. That's the reason I can't ignore it? So no, I won't "suck it up" unless the rules that we all must obey in this forum change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
once again, appoligies but i have been sitting on this for a while, i kow that accord can be reached because i have done it myself with another of my "adversaries" on this forum.
I am well aware of your "accord" Have a good night's rest, "adversary"
July 7th, 2005  
Redleg
 
 
I think we've gone far enough here for now.

Thread locked.