Vuhmont = "Vermont"

Charge 7

Master Gunner
(I was going to make this a reply to "The Bawston Acent" thread, but thought it was off topic and probably deserving of it's own topic anyway.)

Personally, I've always liked my Vermont accent:

"Jeezum Crow" = "Jesus Christ"

"Same difference" = "Same thing"

"Heeuh" = "here"

"Huh" = "Yes", "You don't say?", "I don't understand", "I don't give a damn", "No"

"Oot" = "Out"

"Rut" = "Route" as in "Up theya on Rut Thurty"

Road directions from a native: "You can't get there from here."

Yep, we originated the expression. It actually used to apply for a fair amount of people for too damn long. Up until around the 1950s if memory serves, There was no road from northeastern Vermont to northwestern New Hampshire. If you wanted to go across the river you had to go about 40 miles further south and crossover there. You could go into Canada but still not connect from Vermont to New Hampshire as the road each state led into Canada did not connect. Most of that area was still forrest back then. There's still quite alot but not the wilderness it once was.

A side note to illustrate how rustic it was there back then, is that that quarter of Vermont did not have electricity until 1962.

in Mass, we say you can't get there from here just because we're not that friendly and for some reason always in a rush :roll:

Yeah it has found it's way into that usage here too. Probably the biggest reason it's still in our vocabulary.

It's the capital so obviously the legislature is there. Some funny laws come out from time to time so that's why the natives call it "Mount Peculiar". Peculiar of course means "strange" or "odd" he he.

Back