Voting rights for ex-felons in the USA

Should ex-felons have the right to vote in the USA?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• not sure

• Total voters
No they forfiet those rights by committing the crimes. It's part of the payment. I can understand how Boxer and Clinton would like to see it happen though. Then all their pals could vote again.

03USMC said:
No they forfiet those rights by committing the crimes. It's part of the payment. I can understand how Boxer and Clinton would like to see it happen though. Then all their pals could vote again.

so what is the difference between a felony and any other sort of crime? i don't know....not being fecisous

Felonies are considered Major Violations.

Examples are:

Possession of Narcotics for resale
Homicide
Manslaughter
Burglary

Misdemeanors are considered minor violations.

Theft under 500.00 dollars (here)
Possesion of small amounts of narcotics.
Driving while intoxicated (1ST & 2ND offense. 3rd Offense is a felony here)

Felonies are punishable by sentence to the State Corrections System. Misd are generally sentenced to the County Jail.

03USMC said:
Felonies are considered Major Violations.

Examples are:

Possession of Narcotics for resale
Homicide
Manslaughter
Burglary

Misdomeanors are

mmm ok. does taking away their voting rights make much of a difference? i mean the US usually has very low voting turnout doesn't it?

In reality it probably doesn't make much of a difference right now. While their voting rights are stripped from them in most states not all, most thugs aren't big into politics.

The whole plan to make Convicted Felons "whole" by reinstating voting rights is grand standing by the Democratic Party. They are traditionally soft on crime as opposed to the Republicians. It's a "We Care About thugs and scumbags." play and if it works out could ralley a few to the polls.

Charge_7 said:
Or blow up in their faces like it did Dukakis and the Willie Horton escapade.

Yes. But this could possibly effect alot of decent hardworking people along the way. Dukakis made himself look like a Jack ass. Boxer ,Clinton and Schumer are attempting to make a mockery of the system in order to retain office.

My philosophy is that we shouldn't punnish people forever, I mean, we want them to come out of prison and become model citizens, not make them go back to crime. So I say after like a parol period or something let them have their rights back.

Whispering Death said:
My philosophy is that we shouldn't punnish people forever, I mean, we want them to come out of prison and become model citizens, not make them go back to crime. So I say after like a parol period or something let them have their rights back.

Would that include all rights? Possesion of a Weapon etc. The rate of felons successfully completing a term of Parole/Probation is disgustingly low.

Interesting. Actually I heard that some US states allow them to vote and some not. It caused some misunderstanding during the 2000 elections as far as FL was concerned.

Back