Did you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Not elligible

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
I served in the Corps, I feel like it's a slap in the face to all my brothers and sisters who also have served not to vote. We all served to protect our voting privileges, we ought to do so IMHO.

Don't vote ... don't ***** ..............

I will be 65 in November and I have voted in every single election (local, state and federal), with two exceptions ... my absentee ballots did not arrive on time for either one of the missed elections. One was a local election w/bond proposals and the other one was an off-year cycle state election for legislators from our state legislature.

I have seen people bitching and griping about the state of the state and the state of the nation etc, and was informed on several occasions, that the people who were the most vocal, had NOT taken the time to vote. You can guess EXACTLY what my comments were.

That was one case where I was very very direct ... I told them if they were too damned lazy to take the time to vote, then they deserve every bad thing that could happen to them because of those who WERE elected and if the whiners didn't like it, I DIDN'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT ... they didn't have a leg to stand on or a right to gripe - they got what they deserved.

I will be 65 in November and I have voted in every single election (local, state and federal), with two exceptions ... my absentee ballots did not arrive on time for either one of the missed elections. One was a local election w/bond proposals and the other one was an off-year cycle state election for legislators from our state legislature.

I have seen people bitching and griping about the state of the state and the state of the nation etc, and was informed on several occasions, that the people who were the most vocal, had NOT taken the time to vote. You can guess EXACTLY what my comments were.

That was one case where I was very very direct ... I told them if they were too damned lazy to take the time to vote, then they deserve every bad thing that could happen to them because of those who WERE elected and if the whiners didn't like it, I DIDN'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT ... they didn't have a leg to stand on or a right to gripe - they got what they deserved.

What if there is no one running that you believe is worthy of your vote?

I am not a fan of the "if you don't vote don't complain" argument as it completely over looks the reason they didn't vote, if they just couldn't be bothered voting then you are correct but if they didn't vote because they didn't support any of their candidates then I see that as the ultimate protest vote.

My parents were big on the idea that if you didn't like the government you voted against them and they just couldn't grasp the concept that I didn't like the alternative either.

The problem here is that there is no discernible difference between the two main parties and the minor parties are a joke (most of our minor parties are special interests groups Greens etc.) on top of that I prefer to vote for the person I want to represent me not a party that will represent its largest contributors.

No doubt about it with both major parties, but I go with the lesser of the two evils, and by far the one I voted for since I was able to vote has gotten my vote with that thought in mind while voting.

No doubt about it with both major parties, but I go with the lesser of the two evils, and by far the one I voted for since I was able to vote has gotten my vote with that thought in mind while voting.

Which is the bit I really hate about politics, its become a matter of getting rid of governments we don't like rather than electing a government we do want and that to me is a huge failure of the electoral systems.

The other problem is we have a huge population and you can't satisfy all of them so whoever gets elected, a good portion of the country is going to feel juiced.

I served in the Corps, I feel like it's a slap in the face to all my brothers and sisters who also have served not to vote. We all served to protect our voting privileges, we ought to do so IMHO.

Brother people like us have to vote, doesn't matter if there's anybody worth voting for or not. We defended this country, right or wrong we did it, voting is a requirement, and I believe, probably somewhere in my past it was probably an order.

10-4 brother. I like the idea of it being an order but at same time, I could understand the people's right to not to as we also served to protect that as well, even though I don't agree with it used in that circumstance.

I have a neighbor who isn't voting this time because he says neither of them are worth his time to stand in line, he's 85, probably knows what he's talking about, that's what we defended, we defended his right to chose freely :)

To this day I will gladly stand along ANYBODY who will defend freedom

Is he a veteran? At 85, probably a WWII vet if he did, even though I don't agree with him, he earned the right to flip us the bird, if he's a vet. Than again, we kept America's citizen's right to flip us the bird strong as well which I don't agree with when it comes to your code pinks of the world.

What if there is no one running that you believe is worthy of your vote?

I am not a fan of the "if you don't vote don't complain" argument as it completely over looks the reason they didn't vote, if they just couldn't be bothered voting then you are correct but if they didn't vote because they didn't support any of their candidates then I see that as the ultimate protest vote.

My parents were big on the idea that if you didn't like the government you voted against them and they just couldn't grasp the concept that I didn't like the alternative either.

I don't care if there is nobody you can support for Pres or Vice Pres, you can always vote for a "Write-in" candidate ... ie: Mickey Mouse for President and Minney Mouse for Vice President. This is another way to register your displeasure over the selection of candidates.

The problem with NOT voting under these circumstances, is the fact that you also won't be casting a vote for Congressmen, Senators or State and local representives.

When they say that ALL politics is local, it is just another way of saying your representatives start at the local level and it goes on from there.

AS I SAID, IF YOU DON'T VOTE ... DON'T COMPLAIN.

Last edited:
I don't care if there is nobody you can support for Pres or Vice Pres, you can always vote for a "Write-in" candidate ... ie: Mickey Mouse for President and Minney Mouse for Vice President. This is another way to register your displeasure over the selection of candidates.

The problem with NOT voting under these circumstances, is the fact that you also won't be casting a vote for Congressmen, Senators or State and local representives.

When they say that ALL politics is local, it is just another way of saying your representatives start at the local level and it goes on from there.

AS I SAID, IF YOU DON'T VOTE ... DON'T COMPLAIN.

You know while I don't entirely disagree with you I just cant help but think that lining up to vote for Mickey and Minnie Mouse because you think the real candidates are party clones that aren't worth voting for is how a thriving democracy is meant to work.

I am however still convinced that one of the freedoms granted to us via the actions of successive generations is the right to say that you do not support the current political environment by staying at home on election day.

As I said earlier if there is someone you believe should do the job then by all means get off your butt and vote and if you are too lazy to vote don't ***** about the result but if you genuinely do not support any of the candidates then don't vote as electing the lesser of two evils is just perpetuating a bad system.

You know while I don't entirely disagree with you I just cant help but think that lining up to vote for Mickey and Minnie Mouse because you think the real candidates are party clones that aren't worth voting for is how a thriving democracy is meant to work.

I am however still convinced that one of the freedoms granted to us via the actions of successive generations is the right to say that you do not support the current political environment by staying at home on election day.

As I said earlier if there is someone you believe should do the job then by all means get off your butt and vote and if you are too lazy to vote don't ***** about the result but if you genuinely do not support any of the candidates then don't vote as electing the lesser of two evils is just perpetuating a bad system.

The ONLY way that your contention truly holds water, is IF every single office that is part of the ballot, has a cast of candidates, none of which you would vote for. I don't know about you ... but ... I have never seen a ballot that didn't have at least one person I would vote for.

So far I have NEVER seen a ballot that only has the Office of the President/Vice President as the ONLY thing you would be voting for. There are usually municipal offices, state offices, local bonds, local proposals, state proposals etc that need to be voted on.

Whether it is an increase in your property tax, your state tax of any proposal that will result in you paying more of your earnings, if you don't concern yourself with more than just the Presidential Race, then you deserve whatever comes your way as a result of the votes of your neighbors and perfect strangers.

Let's face it, ALL votes count ... political contests have been decided and proposals have been passed by just one single vote - so don't ever let someone tell you that your vote doesn't mean anything.

ONE OR TWO LESS VOTES, WOULD HAVE SEEN ADOLPH HITLER LOSING THE CONTEST FOR CHANCELLOR OF GERMANY.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but last time I voted here in Va you could skip the idiots running for an office and go straight to the ones you wanted to vote for,
Chief's right 1 or 2 less votes and Hitler would have been a loser.
Also if you don't like either one running do what I do vote for who you think is the lesser of two evils, that's what I have to do for the mayor jote this time, I have to vote for teh lesser of two evils.

Umm you guys do realise that Hitler never actually won an election, until Hitler was appointed Chancellor, the Nazis never held an actual majority in the government and the parliament.

So I am backing your next door neighbour on this one if there is no one worth voting for don't vote because to vote for the lesser of two evils is little more than defrauding the democratic system. The point of voting is after all to elect the person you believe will do the job not to fill the position with the second worst of the candidates.

Last edited:
for 1 my next door neighbor has earned the right to vote or not, you and me haven't earned that right yet, and as far as defrauding the democratic system, I think its more like voting AGAINST the other idiot that you know would do a worse job

You do realise that we had the right to vote before the second world war?

There seems to be a prevailing train of thought that because he (A generic "he") defended the rights we have and had that he instituted them which is just not the case.

The institutions we have now and currently defend go all the way back to ancient Greece and they have been developed and defended by successive generations and civilisations since that time and I am pretty certain that these institutions would not have lasted any more than a few generations if it was believed that electing the lesser of two evils or the smartest idiot were the reasons they were implemented.

Seriously how do expect the quality of politics to improve which is something that every one here bemoans regardless of political preference on a daily basis when you keep endorsing it at every election?

Back