Vmf214 Black Sheep

recondo_fr

hi all !
i'm a french fan (since i'm a little boy) of the tv show "BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON", talking about a squadron of marine fighter pilots during WWII in the south pacific; and commanded by MAJOR GREG "PAPY" BOYINGTON, the guest star is ROBERT CONRAD.

Well, just wondering if anyone can give me the lyrics of the song; that will be a happy day for me, thanx in advance guys !

ROFL, i saw your topic and the name of the squadron, that squadron still exists as a Harrier squadron and are going w/ the 11th MEU :).

I still find it odd that "Pappy" was awarded the Medal of Honor because of his problems with authority. But he was as tough as old boot leather and fearless when it came to competition. A true character.

I still find it odd that "Pappy" was awarded the Medal of Honor because of his problems with authority.

Actually, I believe that he won the MOH for his flying and leadership and I'm pretty sure he was the first American Fighter pilot to surpass Eddie Rickenbacker's score (several more would follow such as Dick Bong in April of '44). But what do I know. Here's his citation:

BOYINGTON, GREGORY Rank and organization: Major, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Squadron 214. Place and date: Central Solomons area, from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Entered service at: Washington. Born: 4 December 1912, Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. Other Navy award: Navy Cross. Citation: For extraordinary heroism and valiant devotion to duty as commanding officer of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Central Solomons area from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Consistently outnumbered throughout successive hazardous flights over heavily defended hostile territory, Maj. Boyington struck at the enemy with daring and courageous persistence, leading his squadron into combat with devastating results to Japanese shipping, shore installations, and aerial forces. Resolute in his efforts to inflict crippling damage on the enemy, Maj. Boyington led a formation of 24 fighters over Kahili on 17 October and, persistently circling the airdrome where 60 hostile aircraft were grounded, boldly challenged the Japanese to send up planes. Under his brilliant command, our fighters shot down 20 enemy craft in the ensuing action without the loss of a single ship. A superb airman and determined fighter against overwhelming odds, Maj. Boyington personally destroyed 26 of the many Japanese planes shot down by his squadron and, by his forceful leadership, developed the combat readiness in his command which was a distinctive factor in the Allied aerial achievements in this vitally strategic area. (http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohiia1.htm)

Last edited:
Missileer said:
I still find it odd that "Pappy" was awarded the Medal of Honor because of his problems with authority.
I may be wrong, but from what I've seen and heard, more often than not problems with authority will probably prevent you from getting promoted, but won't affect your ability to be nominated for awards.

Back