Vladimir Putin checkmates the West

I'm sorry if I have offended your sensibilities DelBoy, but you did specifically ask for the unvarnished truth. Being a man of my word I will do my very best to give it to you. However I would have expected that someone having asked for the truth, not to resent it when given.

I too am a great admirer of the US , but that does not restrict me from seeing fault in their attitudes, just as it does not with Australian attitudes. However my admiration however stops short of "P!ssing in their pockets". I'm sure that the American members of this forum are fully aware of my respect for their country and people, without that.

I respect and admire them, not fawn all over them.

Ahh - now it's 'pissing in pockets' ; I will not stoop , my friend, to such desperation.

OK. For what it is worth, and it is not of great import to me, show me where I specifically asked you for the 'unvarnished truth '. I believe that I simply suggested that I could in no way be persuaded by anyone who held such a grandiose claim.

My sensitivities are in no way at risk. I am just pointing out that I am as entitled to voice my opinion as you are, and that using insult is not a legitimate argument. 'Currying favour' and 'fawning' are certainly low stuff, and have nothing to do with 'unvarnished truth'.

On some issues I disagree with you, but I do not have need to insult you in doing so. For this reason I cannot give credibility to your case.

It is perfectly legitimate to hold the view that USA has shown itself to be a great ally, has protected its allies from severe threat, has added value to the world, has ensured the survival of me and mine, and that the withdrawal of USA from its position of power and influence and responsibility would prove a devastating blow to the world; this might well happen, God help us. When I say God Bless America, it is out of sincere appreciation, not to win chalks or support; support for what? At my age? Pulease! It is about what I feel for America, not vice-versa; and what do you know of that? I will not stop expressing that because it does not suit you.

Now, I do not seek or need the permission of others, American or not, to voice that opinion, and as always am more than happy to stand alone in proclaiming it. I am comfortable in my judgement, and wish for no popular support of it.

If you have any other claims you wish to take up with me re agendas, wheel them in and unfurl them.

Always bear in mind that I am the world's greatest expert on the subject of my own opinion; and that my friend, IS as near to the 'unvarnished truth' as you can get.

Last edited:
Hate to interrupt what has been a fascinating conversation, but the topic at hand is Vladimir Putin, and I think we may have strayed a bit :)

OK. For what it is worth, ..... etc, etc.

My sensitivities are in no way at risk. I am just pointing out that I am as entitled to voice my opinion as you are, and that using insult is not a legitimate argument. 'Currying favour' and 'fawning' are certainly low stuff, and have nothing to do with 'unvarnished truth'.

You ask for the unvarnished truth, you get it.

As for the second matter, it is no insult. You may have noticed that others tend to agree with my perception, you are in this case "over the top"

One has no need to flatter the USA (or any one else) with such gratuitous muck. Fawning was the only word in my limited vocabulary that would do it justice. As I said I too admire the USA and it's people.

Those very few uncertain souls who need the reassurance, know it, and those who don't, have no need.

Flattery is the worst and falsest way of showing our esteem

Jonathan Swift 1667 - 1745.

England/Britain has been a great ally to us as well. Of course, I would thank them for that, and Margaret Thatcher is top notch (miss her).
Thank you too Del Boy for being a loyal ally. Wish their were more of you in the world.

Seno - you are incapable of conducting a reasonable argument without resorting to insult and diversion in the absence of anything better to say.

You keep desperately holding on to your nonsensical 'unvarnished truth', but when challenged to show where I have ever asked for such from you, you try to dodge the request. How about it?

Unvarnished truth? I would not look to you for that, and your claim to such I find most cringeworthy.

Your perpetual reference to your popular appeal amongst your peers here cuts no ice whatsoever with me; to stand alone suits me very well.

Your position is that your opinion is right, any opposing view is crap, and you seem to be prepared to sink to any level to desperately hold to your position. My take is that I have my viewpoint - you have yours. I do not need to insult you to make my point. Your argument has nothing to do with 'unvarnished truth' and everything to do with failure to address the subject at hand.

I recommend The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand to you, and politely ask that you cut out the insults, if that is at all possible for you.

Thank you and God Bless America.

Last edited:
I don't care what you think, now,... are you happy?

"Cuts no ice with you" Pbbbttt, I'm glad I wasn't eating, I'd have food coming out of my nostrils. Ooohh..... Painful....

Last edited:
I don't care what you think, now,... are you happy?

Yes absolutely- now you are talking - concise and polite. Much more suitable to a man of your standing.

PS - Don't forget the book.

"My noble friend - chew upon this."

Last edited:
and Margaret Thatcher is top notch (miss her).

JESUS H CHRIST!

most of what i've heard of maggie thatcher, lead to 3million unemployed, the biggest of british industries being shut down and general depression. I don't want her back, for sure.

Never believe all you hear. Maggie was the best man we had, and history will establish that. Her legacy has been frittered away by the present nonentities parading as a government since 1997, and we are about to pay the price.

Such is life. Still smiling here chaps, hopefully we will soon be rid of them. Will the next lot be any better, they ain't got any Maggies now?

Last edited:
JESUS H CHRIST!

most of what i've heard of maggie thatcher, lead to 3million unemployed, the biggest of british industries being shut down and general depression. I don't want her back, for sure.
She's the Ronald Reagan of Britian. She did good things, but most of them involved military funding and her fantastic handling of the Falkland War.

The watch of Reagan and Maggie heralded the collapse of the Soviet Union.She kept the creeping federalism of the EU at bay, right until the faint-hearts stabbed her in the back, sold out, and brought ruin upon themselves, which in turn has brought our country to the brink. Maggie would never have accepted the plight of Britain at the current time.

The collapse of the Soviet Union was caused more by the Solidarity movement and the war in Afghanistan than by Reagan asking Gorbachev to tear down that wall. Which he never did.

And America outspending them in defense forcing the Soviets to invest money that they didn't have certainly sped up the process.

And America outspending them in defense forcing the Soviets to invest money that they didn't have certainly sped up the process.

Exactly. Reagan and Thatcher were firm in refusing to retreat further and allowing Soviet Union to win WW111 without firing a shot.

And yes, John Paul 11 was an important player - producing the support which enabled Solidarity. Poland is the most Roman Catholic of countries, spiritually.

Reagan, Thatcher, Gorbachov and John Paul 11 - cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Back