A Visitor's Guide to Scotland

Beautiful country and love the accent but the cuisine?......mmmm leaves much to be desired. This is from only one example so who am I to complain?

Bannock is especially nice. I used to make it a lot, before I found out that I was lactose-intolerant! :(

But if there's one (of several) things that I miss about the United Kingdom, it's the food. Can't beat fish and chips on the seafront, nor bangers and mash in the morning. Nor a chocolate eclair (which I now cannot have). Fish and chips... fish and chips... fish... *mouth waters* chips... NOM.

Lining of a sheep's stomach? Yuk... but fish and chips sounds good.
AAAHHHH.... chocolate, how could you do without? No choice makes for a sad withdrawal. :-:)-(

Lining of a sheep's stomach? Yuk... but fish and chips sounds good.
AAAHHHH.... chocolate, how could you do without? No choice makes for a sad withdrawal. :-:)-(

I just buy high-Cacao content chocolate. It tends to have less milk in it.

I'm not convinced that I am lactose-intolerant. It's just that whenever I have milk, or milk produce, I have bad acne breakouts. It's weird.

Coming from a seaside town in Southern England, fish and chips were notoriously amazing. The Gordon Ramsey's restaurant fish and chips in Bristol were... well, amazing. Ah, walking along the seafront of an evening with fish and chips in a paper... *nostalgic tear rolling down cheek*

The title of the thread actually reminds me of a Brendan Burns stand-up I once saw.

He talks about the attempted bombing of Glasgow Airport a few years ago.

Here's the clip on Youtube - bloody hilarious, but can be quite offensive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpTBY9LECTA&playnext=1&list=PLE2FAD75BBCF17455&feature=results_video"]Brendon Burns So I Suppose THIS Is Offensive Now Part 4 - YouTube[/ame]

Dark Chocolate is the best. Sugar content is less and you can actually taste the cocoa. I could go on about this addictive pleasure but instead add another video which is in my opinion not offensive, at least hope not. One does need a sense of humor in these times.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymweEOOPJGE"]Brendon Burns So I Suppose THIS Is Offensive Now Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
As I mentioned some time ago, fish and chips were much much better when wrapped in newspaper, when newspaper was made illegal and new fresh white paper had to be used, the fish and chips never tasted the same.

Another treat I loved from the chippy was sausage in batter and chips with a pickled onion then smothered in lots of salt and vinegar, if we were very lucky we also got a lot of batter that fell off the fish during frying mixed in with the chips.

I remember when I was a kid a portion of chips cost 4 old pennies, then it went up to a tanner (6 old pennies). Horror, gosh, a 50% price increase. I dread to think how much it costs nowadays.

My local chippie charges £1.60 for a portion of chips and £4.50 for a fish!!!

They can feck right off with those prices! :evil:

I'll remember to keep driving through your town if I'm hungry. ;)

It's about £5.20 for a fish supper in my town. Good sized portion though. :D

jHdwvG3.jpg

Beautiful country and love the accent but the cuisine?......mmmm leaves much to be desired. This is from only one example so who am I to complain?

The cuisine isn't too bad. :lol:

Everythings either deep fried or covered in batter, or both! :D

Haggis is good:

haggis_recipe.jpg

Bannock is especially nice. I used to make it a lot, before I found out that I was lactose-intolerant! :(

But if there's one (of several) things that I miss about the United Kingdom, it's the food. Can't beat fish and chips on the seafront, nor bangers and mash in the morning. Nor a chocolate eclair (which I now cannot have). Fish and chips... fish and chips... fish... *mouth waters* chips... NOM.

Cor blimey guv'nor, bangers and mash.

Is that how you talk me old china?

:p

As I mentioned some time ago, fish and chips were much much better when wrapped in newspaper, when newspaper was made illegal and new fresh white paper had to be used, the fish and chips never tasted the same.

Another treat I loved from the chippy was sausage in batter and chips with a pickled onion then smothered in lots of salt and vinegar, if we were very lucky we also got a lot of batter that fell off the fish during frying mixed in with the chips.

I remember when I was a kid a portion of chips cost 4 old pennies, then it went up to a tanner (6 old pennies). Horror, gosh, a 50% price increase. I dread to think how much it costs nowadays.

Yeah, the ink from the newspaper certainly added to the taste. ;)

I prefer a sausage supper to a fish supper. Sausage supper is about £2.60-ish.

0iZGdsN.jpg

Cumberland sausage and chips costs £4 for a massive sausage and ton of chips. It's just the price of fish has gone through the roof recently. :(

Back