Visiting battlefields

Duty Honor Country

Next weekend, I am treveling down to Alabama to check out Horseshoe Bend Military National Park. I am doing a 5000 word paper on the causes and effects of that battle. I am figuring being there and will give me a feel for the battle. General Jackson surrounded 800 Creek Warriors with a vastly superior force of 2500 soldiers at a bend in the river. It was hardly a battle.

Anyways, anyone else been to an historic battlefield and wish to share the experience. I am thinking that Gettysburg will be the most visited by the US forum members.

Been to Arnhem in The Netherlands where Canadians and British paratroopers slaughtered by SS Nazi units in WW II

Been to Iraq-Iran war fields in south west of Iran!

Wish I could make it to Normandy when I was in Europe last Fall but I will definitely go there!

I went to Berlin a couple of years ago, that was very good, also travelled around northern france and belgium, vimy ridge, Arras, Ypres etc also very good

Visited the large monument in Kosovo Polje where the serbs defeated the Ottoman army in 1389. Was stationed in the Drenas Valley where heavy battles took place between UCK and VJ forces in the recent Kosovo conflict. Still lots of trenches, bunkers and equipment to be found as stray debris in Drenas.

I haven't been to any historic battlefields, but I would like to visit, Mt. Suribachi Iwo Jima (lol), Omaha Beach, and Point Du Hoc. I'd love to go to those places.

Well, I haven't been to any major battlefield but I have been to Texas's most famous battlefield is San Jacinto, where Texas freedom from Mexico's rule.

I have been to:

Gettysburg (ACW)
Yorktown (ARW and ACW)
Nashville (ACW)
Antietam (ACW)
The Cowpens (ARW)
Breeds Hill (I refuse to call it Bunker Hill - ARW)
Manassas (Bull Run - ACW)
Saratoga (ARW)
Normandy Beaches (WWII)
Bastogne (WWII)
Carentan and Caen (WWII)
Forts George and McHenry (1812)
Culloden Scotland (1746)
Newbury England (ECW)

I think that's all of em but I will have to look through my stuff to make sure...

I have been to a few.

1 - In California, there is a place south of Los Angeles and North of San Diego called San Pasqual. There was a battle there during the California and Mexican War where we walked the battlefield and surrounding terrain. Probably the best known battle in California, the Battle of San Pasqual is probably one on the most controversial of the Mexican War. Debate rages to this day on who was the winner. Did Kearney win since he held the field and could not be moved off of Mule Hill until he was relieved the following day? Did Pico win since his force remained a combat effective force even after the battle? And if so, why didn't he follow up his earlier success? By what standard do we judge? The contemporary standard of the force that holds the field after the battle is considered the winner? Or do we use the modern standard of the combat effectiveness of the two forces during and after the battle?

I have been to Bastone. That was one of my best experiences when I was stationed in Europe. What an awesome place. So many points of significance and there is a HUGE museum south of Bastone where there are over 300 different pieces of military equipment from WWII.

I would LOVE to visit :

1- Waterloo (well, where the battle took place)

2- Austerliz

3-Stalingrad lol

4- Ain Jalut?? where the Mamelukes defeated the Mongols

5-The battle field of Hattin

6-Kawankajima

7-Nagashino

8-Seikigahara

and much more!!! :D :D :D

American Revolution:

Fort Ticonderoga
Kings Mountain

Texas:

The Alamo
San Jacinto

Civil War:

Pea Ridge
Gettysburg
Shiloh
Vicksburg
Chickamauga
Bull Run
Lookout Mountain (Chattanooga)

Plains Indain Wars:

Little Bighorn
Wounded Knee

Just down the road we have the site of the Battle of Hasting 1066 were Harold and William fought it out to the finish. The battle took place in October 1066. Harold had defeated Vikings a few weeks before at the Battle of Stamford Bridge where he slaughtered Vikings and they would never be a major force again. Over 300 ships came over the seas to invade England and after the battle it took less than 30 ships to carry the survivors back home. Harold arrived for the Battle with his troops tired and many of them had been left behind and rather than wait for them to catch up he threw him self into the Battle which went on for most of the day. All though the Norman won the battle is was a close run thing and it the defeat boiled down to one mistake that some people in his army made by leaving their positions to pursue the enemy before he had been defeated.

If you ever get the chance try Arnhem in late September, when all the ceremonies are taking place, to see the way the Dutch honour the Para's out there is very touching. Each school child is allocated a grave to tend for that year and then they hand it on to the next generation.

Back