The Village

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
I just saw this film. I have to admit that I think the basic underlying concept of this movie is the impetus behind my current locale. The idea of forming a society stepping back in history and culture is soooooooo appealing. At one time we had new lands and frontiers to explore but what is left now? Hence the life of the ex-pat.

bulldogg said:
At one time we had new lands and frontiers to explore but what is left now? Hence the life of the ex-pat.

It' still there, waiting for someone with a pioneering spirit and a will to leave everything behind and start over from scratch.

I see the problem being that 300 years ago there were places where you could go and you didn't need a passport or visa and through the sweat of your brow you could carve out your future. It can be done today but its far more complicated and even those places with a wilderness where you could go back in time and live off the land it requires a visa for most ie Alaska, Australian outback etc. Reading this book about the British Empire really drives home the differences between then and now.

Back