Vigilant About Torture

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Post
October 20, 2008
Pg. 14

The Oct. 15 news story "CIA Tactics Endorsed in Secret Memos; Waterboarding Got White House Nod" confirmed what President Bush indicated in an interview with ABC News in June: that the administration not only knew of but also approved the use of torture as an interrogation technique against detainees in the war on terrorism.
As a member of the House intelligence committee, I offered language to the Defense Department authorization bill requiring the CIA to follow the same rules as the Army Field Manual, which clearly bans torture. My provision was removed when it became clear that the president would veto the legislation if it was included. I agree with many military experts that using torture in interrogations is likely to yield false information and puts American troops at risk of being treated the same way by our enemies.
In June, I sent a letter with 56 other members of Congress to Attorney General Michael B. Mukasey requesting that he appoint a special counsel to investigate whether the administration's policies regarding the interrogation of detainees have violated federal criminal laws. The administration responded that because U.S. officials had acted in good faith while engaging in waterboarding and other activities, they were somehow above U.S. law, specifically the War Crimes Act and the Anti-Torture Act. This response was indicative of the callous disregard the administration has shown toward the Constitution since coming to power in 2001. The Democratic-led Congress remains extremely concerned about torture as an interrogation technique and will continue to hold administration officials accountable for their actions even after they leave office.
Jan Schakowsky, U.S. Representative (D-Ill.), Washington

Back