Vietnam Wall

ghost457

have any of you been to the Vietnam Veterans Wall? or any other memorials, such as the WWII memorial or Korean War memorial? i have been to all of those on our 8th grade class trip just over a year ago. i also spent several hours in Arlington Cemetary. what did you guys think of these monuments to our fighting men and women? i for one was especially moved by the Vietnam Wall when i saw a name on there that has the same last name as me.........

also, do you think that this should be an encouraged field trip for all schools? i think it should at least be encouraged by the government or whoever else decides that stuff

also, i got a picture of 3 Hueys flying by while we were at the Lincoln Memorial, that was really cool

I've been to all of them. It was really great. But I didn't like what I saw at the Korean Memorial one time. One guy walked up to one of the statues in the center and tapped on it. Still surprises me how many people will ignore the signs they have before the Memorials about not talking.

Don't have many memorials so I haven't been to one.

We do have these of peacekeeping soldiers that has lost their lives. There is also a burning light for them 24/7

http://www.jr4it.com/minnen/html/swedint.htm

Unfortently its in Swedish so it might not be much info.

Would be a good thing to be able to see atleast The Wall in USA, but it will probebly be sometime before I can spare some money off to a trip to USA :(

The Korean War monument in the winter is one of the most beautiful, in my opinion. Just no words when I saw it.

Something else to look at is the "Moving Wall". It is the same wall, just able to travel around the United States. I've seen it twice, and I saw the actual monument once.

The moving wall is just as much of a tribute as the actual one, if not more. A lot more Vietnam Veterans are able to make a trip down the street, or an hour down the road, then to our nation's capital.

Either way, I STRONGLY recommend a trip to the wall for anyone who studies the military, who serves/served, or anyone who wants to understand what makes this nation great.

There is a huge memorial to all the members of American Aircrew that died in battle over in Europe during WW2 near Cambridge in England. Also there is the American Chapel in St Paul's Cathedral London which has a hand written book listing every American that died fighting from Britain during WW2 this pages of this book are turned every day so that no one is forgotten. Ike was so touched about all this he offered to raise the money for it. This was politely refused, as it was pointed out that they died here so we would remember them. All these sites can be found on the Internet, any problems let me know and I will dig out the correct address for this.

I have seen all those monuments, Ghost, and more. I spent quite sometime at the Vietnam Memorial looking at the names of my friends. I have also been to Arlington to see many of those same friends. I've made this trip many times and it still moves me beyond words. I've seen the new WWII Memorial as well and am grateful that it was finally built. Although the Iwo Jima Memorial had for many become the unofficial WWII memorial (and certainly for my family) it was wonderful that something was done specific to WWII. I am, however, still waiting and working for the War Dogs Memorial (yes, I know of the Air Force and Army ones, I'm talking national).

Do I think this is a good idea for a class trip? Yes, of course I do. I'll go even further. I think it should be a required class trip for every student in America at some point in their schooling.

The American Chapel in St Pauls....When this was suggested Ike offered to raise the money in the states, this was refused as it was a part of the British tribute to the American forces. There is also a hand written book listing every American that died while fighting from Britain in the chapel and after a short service every day a page will be turned so that no one is ever forgotten.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know about it but I bet those of the countries knew all about it's existance. I think most people go about their business and never realize just what all our Parents and Grandparents accomplished when they joined together in the "Big War."

I was amazed with the architecture and craftsmen involved. I especially was impressed with the Gothic style in the glasswork.

i've been to most of the memorials in washington, dc. i go there every few months, and i always try to go back and see one or two each time, kind of in a rotation. i like the set up of the ww2 memorial

Back