Vietnam: Looking Back - At The Facts

During WW II the US Army executed nearly 300 of its own men. Again, in the European Theater, the US Army sentenced 443 American soldiers to death. Most of the sentences were for the rape and murder of civilians.

Whoa... anyone hear this before?
The author lists no sources for this point.

well if they raped and murdered, those soldiers deserved it imo. they werent told to rape and murder the innocent, they were told to protect them.. and if i was in command, i would kill those who run from combat also..

Again with the "IF", lets stick to verifiable facts and not heresay and supposition shall we.

I found 108

The following findings are based on the summaries of trials and punishments including executions, reported by the U.S. Army's History
Branch Office of the Judge Advocate General with the United States Forces European Theater, Vol. and II (1945), hereafter USFET. This source contained statistical summaries and brief but detailed accounts of ETO soldiers' courts-martialed and their punishment(s). This data provides a general statistical overview of the death sentences in the entire ETO. The USFET report contains records for 70 executions between 1942 and November 1945, with another 38 executions scheduled for a total of 108.
The above quote was taken from here: http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~critcrim/dp/dppapers/lil.exec.us.gis

I will continue to search for more info.

well if they raped and murdered, those soldiers deserved it imo. they werent told to rape and murder the innocent, they were told to protect them.. and if i was in command, i would kill those who run from combat also..

Well fortunatly your not in command. So if I was in command and you went AWOL you'd agree I could blow your head off? Murder I can see exucution, but rape Maybe 40 years hard labor, but not exucution.

Back