Vietnam - KIA - Page 2

--

August 21st, 2005  
82ndMechanic

Heres something related..

During the Viet Nam war, 57,000 Americans gave their lives fighting for this country. A wailing wall was built in Washington with each soldiers' name engraved. But in that same 9-year period, when 57,000 died in Viet Nam OVER 2 MILLION AMERICANS were killed by killer alcohol!
http://www.av1611.org/drug.html

I'm not down playing the war in Viet Nam - my dad was a combat medic there... I just found this to be an interesting fact.

A guy in my unit had to do a presentation on drinking and driving - for his DUI related offense
September 19th, 2005  
mmarsh

Topic: Re: Vietnam - KIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv
In a letter to the editor of our local paper, a man stated that 1,700 KIA was not that big a deal (referring to Iraq). He said 1,700 or more had been killed in ONE day in VIETNAM. I don't believe that is so. I can't find any documentation on daily casualties. Does anyone know what day during the Vietnam war that we suffered the most KIA? Can you cite the source of the information? I would appreciate the help in setting the record straight with our paper.
Thanks,
R.B. Martin
Not in Vietnam. But it did happen in WWII. D-Day and Tarawa for example. Not to mention WWI or the US Civil War.

I once read that the average in Vietnam in KIA was 100 US servicemen per week.

Mod edit: your previous post was deleted because you should have just edited it instead of creating two posts.

Rule 9:
Do NOT double post (reply directly after one of your own posts)! Use the edit button instead!

EDIT

Sorry Mod, I forgot I had posted above, was very careless. My apologies.
September 19th, 2005  
sunb!

Topic: Re: Vietnam - KIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh

I once read that the average in Vietnam in KIA was 100 US servicemen per week.
That sounds correct. I recall this article once where the average on 113 a week was presented - though this one was back in the early 1990s so perhaps recent research on the topic proves otherwise.
--