Viet Nam War Quiz

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
I had the idea of having a quiz on the Viet Nam War. The rules are you only ask a question if you answer a question right. So if I ask a question, you answer it, I tell you your right, then you ask a question. This is the exact same set of rules as the WWII Quiz.
If possible, please post a source with your answer.
After a fixed period of time after the correct answer is confirmed (i.e. two days) if the original person to answer has not submitted a new question, the forum becomes open for new questions by someone else.

I'll start off and good luck.

From May 1965 to March 1972, this ship was known as the "The Vung Tau Ferry". What was the ship's name and from what country was she from?

Last edited:
I know who was the best lookin' Stoker onboard. ?????

Too easy for me, I'll let someone else have a go.

That would place her squarely in the Australian Navy.

http://www.vvaa.org.au/ran.htm

"The converted aircraft carrier HMAS SYDNEY carried about 16,000 Australian troops as the famed `Vung Tau Ferry'."

If that is acceptable Colonel, I'll toss out the question...

Which US made Rocket caused the most total damage to a US Naval Capital Ship during the Vietnam War from a single strike?

The correct answer will have both the Rocket in question and Ship in question.

Last edited:
In 1969 aboard USS Enterprise 15 aircraft were destroyed by fire and resultant explosions after a Zuni (Mk 32) rocket became overheated by an aircraft's exhaust. It fired and hit other aircraft parked on the deck, 27 men were killed. ???

In 1969 aboard USS Enterprise 15 aircraft were destroyed by fire and resultant explosions after a Zuni (Mk 32) rocket became overheated by an aircraft's exhaust. It fired and hit other aircraft parked on the deck, 27 men were killed. ???

You're half right, the Rocket in question was a US 5 inch Zuni, it was not from an overheated exaust though. A Tech was performing some sort of test on the Rocket, no one will ever know what that test was, or how it was conducted, because he was killed as the Rocket took off, but the Flight Deck Camera did capture him at the Rocket.

The Ship however is not correct, think USS Forest Fire and it will come to you.

I dunno about good, but it's different in some respects.

What was the name given to first serious battle involving the Australians and Viet Cong in SVN?

It is scary in that the partly prepared fire base manned by the Aussies was completely over run, but it's also humorous in that the Viet Cong force was so enthusiastic in their assault that they actually ran right through and out through the partially prepared defences on the other side. This gave the troops time to get all their sh*t in one sock and deny them the pleasure of doing it a second time.

"The Battle of Long Tan" 17-18 August 1966
Aussie unit was D company of the 6 RAR, 108 aussies held out against a force of over 2,500 VC and NVA troops.

Last edited:
I don't think the Aussies were involved in Nam Dong. It's a bit too far North for us we were mainly confined to Phuoc Tuy province.

Clue: The battle was characterised by Regimental scale attacks being repulsed by 105mm Howitzers firing point blank with cannister and fleschette rounds. The NVA/VC were grumpy that we had setup a FSB right in the middle of one of their busiest routes into Saigon.

I've stuffed up here, this battle was the Second most notable battle. it occured after Long Tan.

My humble apologies. It was fought in part by members of 1RAR (and others) who were on their second deployment, not the first as I wrongly thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers mate.

What was the exact number of South Korean soldiers who served combat tours in Vietnam?

The Republic of Korea (ROK) sent three divisions of troops to Vietnam, beginning in September of 1963, to help the Americans fight against North Vietnam. The "White Horse," "Blue Dragon," and the "Tiger" divisions totaled 312,853 men over a twelve year period, forming the second largest army fighting in Vietnam. Similar to many of the United States soldiers, the only other foreign army to outnumber the ROK soldiers in the war, the Korean soldiers were not considered heroes upon their return home after the Vietnam War.
source: http://mcel.pacificu.edu/as/students/koreavet/home.htm

Back