Viet Nam War Quiz

Whose plane accidentally started a fire on the USS Forestal on July 29, 1967, killing 132 crewman, 62 wounded, and 2 missing in action?

btw: There was also another fire..this time on the USS Enterprise...you guys were correct.

John Mccain, now senator. I couldn't understand why pilots didn't eject but guess they feared coming down into inferno anyway. The misfire was due to shortcuts in arming and static electricity I seem to recall.

Last edited:
Charlie had his S together in NAM. In Cambodia the Ho Chi Minh trail, the VC used ropes and pulleys
to transport supplies munitions, Artillery weapons+++++ over hilled Jungle, rivers mountains.

What is the most deadliest and demoralising weapon he used against the American soldier??

Political and media manipulation were their best weapons. By the time I left Vietnam in '71, the Viet Cong wasn't even a viable fighting force by any stretch of the imagination. There were plenty of N. Vietnamese and Chinese to be had though. BTW, my AO was the Central highlands near the borders of S. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (northern edge of US II Corps). Check the map referenced below Spaniard and then we can talk further about your concept of what it was like versus mine.

Reference Map

Political and media manipulation were their best weapons. By the time I left Vietnam in '71, the Viet Cong wasn't even a viable fighting force by any stretch of the imagination. There were plenty of N. Vietnamese and Chinese to be had though. BTW, my AO was the Central highlands near the borders of S. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (northern edge of US II Corps). Check the map referenced below Spaniard and then we can talk further about your concept of what it was like versus mine.

Reference Map

I should of mentioned the trail started in the NV then Laos snaking through Cambodia. I thought It was always A Mix
of Chines and N.V.

Yes political and the use or manipulation of the media was one. I have a few friends that where in Nam but they Don't talk about it,
Only once in a blue moon, if he Drinks to much they loosen up and I've heard some whiled accounts Aka testimonials. Not counting all
the documentaries and research. Makes Afghanistan look like a walk in the Park.

I did a Jungle course for a month, Tougher then the 7 months I spent in the desert, Not counting all those bad rashes, and bugs that get
in weird places.

No I'm looking for a weapon used by the VC. I've been told many Story's, a few times about this weapon, I've even built a few to see
for my self. Anybody that served in Nam has my utmost respect.

I just gave you a hint.

Last edited:
The desert huh? BTDT too. You speak from zero experience. I have no interest in this game.

The desert huh? BTDT too. You speak from zero experience. I have no interest in this game.

Been There Done That, Don't assume so quickly my Experiences.

I was playing with your G.B. in 79. Not counting USMC in Lebanon in 80 The Golan Hights, Aka the dead mans zone.

Games, I have no time for them.

Deadly Punji Traps; is the most demoralising and deadliest weapon ever used by the VC.
And I've built many, I even wrote a book on how to build them with Bamboo and a rope.

Last edited:
Vietnam is the topic of the thread. Your experience should be stated in your profile. Yours says nothing about any military experience whatsoever. Please rectify that situation.
You stated
Charlie had his S together in NAM. In Cambodia the Ho Chi Minh trail, the VC used ropes and pulleys
to transport supplies munitions, Artillery weapons+++++ over hilled Jungle, rivers mountains.
I'm telling you the myth of the Viet Cong is over exaggeratted in my opinion. At least by the time I got there and where I was deployed, the VC were not a real concern. FWIW, I never ran across a single "punji trap" (there were other booby traps though). FYI, I was in an Infantry Scout platoon. We were on foot patrol almost constantly.

Back to the topic:
Question: How many US military women served in Vietnam?
A: 4,367
B: 7,484
C: 38,291
D: 52,281

Last edited:
Vietnam is the topic of the thread. Your experience should be stated in your profile. Yours says nothing about any military experience whatsoever. Please rectify that situation.
You stated
I'm telling you the myth of the Viet Cong is over exaggeratted in my opinion. At least by the time I got there and where I was deployed, the VC were not a real concern. FWIW, I never ran across a single "punji trap" (there were other booby traps though). FYI, I was in an Infantry Scout platoon. We were on foot patrol almost constantly.

Back to the topic:
Question: How many US military women served in Vietnam?
A: 4,367
B: 7,484
C: 38,291
D: 52,281

7.500 around, About 2.1 million total men and women served in the Vietnam war. Two hundred and fifty
thousand lost their lives, were MIA, or injured. A God Done Shame!

It all depended in what OP sector, in some sectors For Example, in Vietnam, the Vietcong (VC) noticed soldiers liked to
kick empty soda cans that were lying on the ground. It was not long before the US troops found that the VC were leaving
explosive devices in empty cans lying alongside regular patrol routes. The devices activated when the cans were kicked.

3 pictures of Punji Pitts

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics but I know what a punji pit looks like, trust me. I never did see one actually deployed because the VC were not there to use them.
Your guess is close to answer "B". That is correct. Now it's time for a new question from you.

It's Known around 2,000 US Personal in NAM became MIA.

Some times in Life or Military experiences Battle Fatigue or those Fancy medical names the mind snaps and you what no part in it anymore, Due to the pressures inflicted on some US Personal.

How many US Personal committed Suicide in NAM?

I know it's been a while, but I'll bite and assume I have the right of way to ask another question.

What was the name of the ARVN general that executed a VC prisoner during the Tet Offensive in Saigon on international television?

On 1 February 1969, the final period of the existence of these units began when the Department of the Army re-designated the LRP companies and detachments as lettered Ranger companies of the 75th Infantry Regiment under the Combined Arms Regimental System (CARS). All of the LRP companies and detachments were “re-flagged” as Ranger companies on that date, except Company D (Ranger), which was formed on 20 November 1969 upon the rotation of the Company D (Ranger), Indiana National Guard back to its home state. The third period ended when the Ranger companies were inactivated as their parent units were withdrawn from the war between November 1969 (Company O of 3d Brigade 82d Airborne Division), and 15 August 1972 (Company H of 1st Air Cavalry Division)

Source: http://www.ask.com/wiki/75th_Ranger_Regiment_(United_States)#Vietnam_War

Back