Viet Nam War Quiz

Starting in 1959, a specialized North Vietnamese Army unit is formed to create a supply route from North Vietnam to Vietcong forces in South Vietnam. With the approval of Prince Sihanouk of Cambodia, this unit develops a primitive route along the Vietnamese/Cambodian border, with offshoots into Vietnam along its entire length. This eventually becomes known as the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
What was the name of this unit?

Ok. Here goes. How many National Guard Infantry units were deployed to RVN? If any, which ones?
By the way Tom, good idea for a quiz. I was going to start one on Vietnam but I wasn't sure if it'd generate too much interest. Obviously, I was wrong (as usual).

Air National Guard units...

Altogether, approximately 10,600 Air Guardsmen were called into federal service in 1968. Although most of the reservists were used to strengthen America's depleted strategic reserve force, four ANG fighter squadrons were dispatched to Vietnam. On 3 May, F-100s from the 120th Tactical Fighter Squadron (Colorado) arrived at Phan Rang Air Base. By 1 June, all of the 120th's pilots were flying combat missions. In the meantime, the 174th (Iowa), 188th (New Mexico), and the 136th (New York) had all deployed to Vietnam with their F-100s. In addition, 85 percent of the 355th Tactical Fighter Squadron -- on paper a regular Air Force unit -- were Air Guardsmen.

http://www.ang.af.mil/history/Forging.asp

Army National Guard units...

May 13, 1968, 12,234 Army National Guardsmen in 20 units from 17 states were mobilized for service during the Vietnam War. Eight units deployed to Vietnam and over 7,000 Army Guardsmen served in the war zone.

Company D (Ranger), 151st Infantry, Indiana Army National Guard arrived in Vietnam in December 1968. As part of the II Field Force, the Indiana Rangers were assigned reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering missions. Operating deep in enemy territory, Ranger patrols engaged enemy units while conducting raids, ambushes and surveillance missions. "Delta Company" achieved an impressive combat record during its tour in Vietnam; unit members were awarded 510 medals for valor and service. The gallant record of Company D, 151st Infantry symbolizes the Army National Guard's performance in Vietnam.

HOOSIERS!!!

http://www.ngb.army.mil/resources/galleries/heritage/indianarangers.html

Yep Bulldogg, D CO, 151st was the only NG Infantry unit to deploy to Vietnam. I wonder how all those units got over there. Did LBJ issue a Presidential Order? And why would he only send over 8 Army NG units when Westmoreland was begging for more troops? Well anyway, over to you Bulldogg.

"The Zoo" in the southwest suburbs of Hanoi.

American POWs coined the term "Cuban Program" to describe a program in which a small team of Caucasian interrogators brutally beat and tortured 19 American aviators in a camp our, POWs nicknamed "the Zoo," in Hanoi, between July 1967 and August 1968. One of the POWs, USAF Major Earl G. Cobeil, eventually died from the beatings.

Source: http://www.aiipowmia.com/testimony/cuba_destatte.html

Legend tells that the French strongholds were named after the lovers of Dien Bien Phu commander Christian de Castries. In fact, they were only an alphabetical sequence of denominations: Anne-Marie, Beatrice, C_____, Dominique, Eliane, Francoise, Gabrielle, Huguette, Isabelle. DeCastries' command post was located near the "C" position. What was that "girl's" name?

there were four plains who were the first plains to come under fire. What kind of aircraft were they? What was there mission? And what was the date?

Umm, is this what you meant? As far as I can tell, you are asking:

The first action against US forces was an attack against 4 aircraft. What kind of A/C were they, what was the mission, and when did it occur?

Very good, thankyou for articulating that better than I had. Forgive me I was tired. It was not the first action taken against US forces but it was the first aircraft to be ingaged.

Back