video cards for laptops

CrazyLilCajun

Milforum Cowgirl
I'm needing to have my video card in my laptop changed...when i bought it i was told it had a good card in there for playing games...bought a game to play and mine doesnt support something called shader 1.1....is it hard to change video cards for laptops? is there an external card that can be plugged into the computer?

Unfortunately most laptops have integrated graphics cards on board so if you want to change it you must buy a new laptop.
I know only few Dell and Alienware models that have upgradable graphics card.

Last edited:
Actually most laptops can be altered to hold outiside video cards. I just did it recently on my dell laptop. What you do is you uninstall your chipset, then you install your new graphics card. Then reinstall the drivers that came with it.

Edit - It doesnt work for all, but its much less restrictive then just a few. Mine is even an old laptop =/

Actually most laptops can be altered to hold outiside video cards. I just did it recently on my dell laptop. What you do is you uninstall your chipset, then you install your new graphics card. Then reinstall the drivers that came with it.

Edit - It doesnt work for all, but its much less restrictive then just a few. Mine is even an old laptop =/

ok where do you find the outside graphics card? i asked at places like best buy and they dont sell them.

I think it takes modification.
Why on earth did you buy a laptop to play games??
The only reason I have a laptop is because i keep moving every few months.

well i bought my laptop for school....and its what i use it for mainly..but i figured id get one that could handle games too..or so i thought. lol

It depends on the motherboard. If its sodered on the mainboard chances are it wont come off (nor should you try). Personally I never do it (and I have built PCs for over a decade). A beginner will most likely wreak the laptop.

CrazylilCajun

If I were you I'd look into buying a new laptop. There are external graphic cards but I dont think its worth the investment. Make sure you get a laptop with either a 8400M, 8600M or the brand new 8800M as a graphics card. The latter, as its new, will likely be expensive.

13th Redneck

It all depends on the games you play and the laptop you have. Except on the lowest settings, a game like Crysis is out. However other games like WOW run fine. I spent last week in a hotel in Belgium just me, my best friend (Belgian Beer), a laptop with a Intel 945 chip and a copy of CIV IV at medium detail it played fine.

It depends on the motherboard. If its sodered on the mainboard chances are it wont come off (nor should you try). Personally I never do it (and I have built PCs for over a decade). A beginner will most likely wreak the laptop.

CrazylilCajun

If I were you I'd look into buying a new laptop. There are external graphic cards but I dont think its worth the investment. Make sure you get a laptop with either a 8400M, 8600M or the brand new 8800M as a graphics card. The latter, as its new, will likely be expensive.

13th Redneck

It all depends on the games you play and the laptop you have. Except on the lowest settings, a game like Crysis is out. However other games like WOW run fine. I spent last week in a hotel in Belgium just me, my best friend (Belgian Beer), a laptop with a Intel 945 chip and a copy of CIV IV at medium detail it played fine.

Oh I'm not gonna try to change it myself...lol....i can usually keep a computer running well..but when it comes to the hardware of the computer....its hands off. lol...so like you suggested...ill prolly end up buying a new one...

Yeah I know but I meant the 3d intensive games. WOW is 3D but the details aren't exactly breath taking.
If you try playing stuff like World in Conflict, GRAW2 and the like it's going to be hell.
Stuff like the Civ series, Sim City, Football Manager... these would run fine. But for a gaming machine, laptops are generally not the way to go, especially if you have a home. Just get a desktop for that.

Yeah I know but I meant the 3d intensive games. WOW is 3D but the details aren't exactly breath taking.
If you try playing stuff like World in Conflict, GRAW2 and the like it's going to be hell.
Stuff like the Civ series, Sim City, Football Manager... these would run fine. But for a gaming machine, laptops are generally not the way to go, especially if you have a home. Just get a desktop for that.
----------------------------------------------------------------
That is actually changing. A subcatagory of laptops called "desktop-replacements" are being designed for gamers on the go.

The Asus G1S or G2S for example are very good gaming laptops, not too expensive either considering what the competition costs. They ran both Supreme Commander and CC3 at good speeds. The G1S (15" screen) goes for $1500 the G2 (17" screen) is about $1700. Compare that to Alienware or the Dell XPS and your at $3000 easy. No way I would spend 3 G's on a laptop, and I am about as nerdy as they come.

This is a good site for laptop reviews...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3728&review=Asus+G1S

What I plan to do in the next few months is buy a Dell (most likely a Inspiron 1520) and upgrade the GPU to a 8600M ($100 extra). You can do the samething to the Dell Vostro 1500 as well.

I love ASUS notebooks but I am on the road a lot and they are too bulky. But as a desktop replacement + occasional travel they are really good for the price.

Just be sure on the GPU. Make sure its at least a 8400M and you really want to shoot for a 8600M. Also, 3 days ago Nvidia just released the 8800M which is a cut down 8800GTX with full Directx 10 support. I imagine they will be expensive at first, but it is the future.

Incidentally I have seem WOC on a Asus Lambrigini, it wasn't as pretty as on my 8800GTX but its definitely playable. Next year you will start to see some really good gaming laptops.

----------------------------------------------------------------
That is actually changing. A subcatagory of laptops called "desktop-replacements" are being designed for gamers on the go.

The Asus G1S or G2S for example are very good gaming laptops, not too expensive either considering what the competition costs. They ran both Supreme Commander and CC3 at good speeds. The G1S (15" screen) goes for $1500 the G2 (17" screen) is about $1700. Compare that to Alienware or the Dell XPS and your at $3000 easy. No way I would spend 3 G's on a laptop, and I am about as nerdy as they come.

This is a good site for laptop reviews...

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3728&review=Asus+G1S

What I plan to do in the next few months is buy a Dell (most likely a Inspiron 1520) and upgrade the GPU to a 8600M ($100 extra). You can do the samething to the Dell Vostro 1500 as well.

I love ASUS notebooks but I am on the road a lot and they are too bulky. But as a desktop replacement + occasional travel they are really good for the price.

Just be sure on the GPU. Make sure its at least a 8400M and you really want to shoot for a 8600M. Also, 3 days ago Nvidia just released the 8800M which is a cut down 8800GTX with full Directx 10 support. I imagine they will be expensive at first, but it is the future.

Incidentally I have seem WOC on a Asus Lambrigini, it wasn't as pretty as on my 8800GTX but its definitely playable. Next year you will start to see some really good gaming laptops.

I have a dell xps...and obviously the video card in it is a piece of crap....i didnt know to ask for a better one....im still learning about stuff like that...i asked the dell rep if it would be a good computer for gaming..and of course they told me yes....lol...

Actually the XPS was the Dell gaming model, until they bought Alienware earlier this year. The still use the XPS, but Alienware is better for games. The whole reason Dell bought out Alienware was because the XPS was extremely overpriced and a underpreformer.

You have 2 choices.

1. You can buy a home model like a Vostro or a Inspiron and customize the parts so that its a better game PC via the Dell website

or

2. Buy one of the true gamer laptops from ASUS, Alienware, Segar, ibuypower, etc.
This will likely cost more, except for the ASUS which is the best bang for buck in this catagory.

Actually the XPS was the Dell gaming model, until they bought Alienware earlier this year. The still use the XPS, but Alienware is better for games. The whole reason Dell bought out Alienware was because the XPS was extremely overpriced and a underpreformer.

You have 2 choices.

1. You can buy a home model like a Vostro or a Inspiron and customize the parts so that its a better game PC via the Dell website

or

2. Buy one of the true gamer laptops from ASUS, Alienware, Segar, ibuypower, etc.
This will likely cost more, except for the ASUS which is the best bang for buck in this catagory.

hmm...well im sure ill buy a new laptop in a year or so lol..maybe before...my folks bought a new hp computer (desktop)...and im sure it would work on that one...so all i gotta do is work on talkin them into letting me use it lol...my mom said she didnt want any games on it...so we shall see lol.

Back