video cards for laptops

--

November 24th, 2007  
CrazyLilCajun

Topic: video cards for laptops

I'm needing to have my video card in my laptop changed...when i bought it i was told it had a good card in there for playing games...bought a game to play and mine doesnt support something called shader 1.1....is it hard to change video cards for laptops? is there an external card that can be plugged into the computer?
November 24th, 2007  
Venom PL

Unfortunately most laptops have integrated graphics cards on board so if you want to change it you must buy a new laptop.
I know only few Dell and Alienware models that have upgradable graphics card.
November 25th, 2007  
CrazyLilCajun

k thanks...looks like ill just be buyin me a new laptop...
--
November 25th, 2007  
WNxRogue

Actually most laptops can be altered to hold outiside video cards. I just did it recently on my dell laptop. What you do is you uninstall your chipset, then you install your new graphics card. Then reinstall the drivers that came with it.

Edit - It doesnt work for all, but its much less restrictive then just a few. Mine is even an old laptop =/
November 25th, 2007  
CrazyLilCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxRogue
Actually most laptops can be altered to hold outiside video cards. I just did it recently on my dell laptop. What you do is you uninstall your chipset, then you install your new graphics card. Then reinstall the drivers that came with it.

Edit - It doesnt work for all, but its much less restrictive then just a few. Mine is even an old laptop =/
ok where do you find the outside graphics card? i asked at places like best buy and they dont sell them.
November 26th, 2007  
A Can of Man

I think it takes modification.
Why on earth did you buy a laptop to play games??
The only reason I have a laptop is because i keep moving every few months.
November 26th, 2007  
CrazyLilCajun

well i bought my laptop for school....and its what i use it for mainly..but i figured id get one that could handle games too..or so i thought. lol
November 27th, 2007  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxRogue

It depends on the motherboard. If its sodered on the mainboard chances are it wont come off (nor should you try). Personally I never do it (and I have built PCs for over a decade). A beginner will most likely wreak the laptop.

CrazylilCajun

If I were you I'd look into buying a new laptop. There are external graphic cards but I dont think its worth the investment. Make sure you get a laptop with either a 8400M, 8600M or the brand new 8800M as a graphics card. The latter, as its new, will likely be expensive.

13th Redneck

It all depends on the games you play and the laptop you have. Except on the lowest settings, a game like Crysis is out. However other games like WOW run fine. I spent last week in a hotel in Belgium just me, my best friend (Belgian Beer), a laptop with a Intel 945 chip and a copy of CIV IV at medium detail it played fine.
November 27th, 2007  
CrazyLilCajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
It depends on the motherboard. If its sodered on the mainboard chances are it wont come off (nor should you try). Personally I never do it (and I have built PCs for over a decade). A beginner will most likely wreak the laptop.

CrazylilCajun

If I were you I'd look into buying a new laptop. There are external graphic cards but I dont think its worth the investment. Make sure you get a laptop with either a 8400M, 8600M or the brand new 8800M as a graphics card. The latter, as its new, will likely be expensive.

13th Redneck

It all depends on the games you play and the laptop you have. Except on the lowest settings, a game like Crysis is out. However other games like WOW run fine. I spent last week in a hotel in Belgium just me, my best friend (Belgian Beer), a laptop with a Intel 945 chip and a copy of CIV IV at medium detail it played fine.
Oh I'm not gonna try to change it myself...lol....i can usually keep a computer running well..but when it comes to the hardware of the computer....its hands off. lol...so like you suggested...ill prolly end up buying a new one...
November 27th, 2007  
A Can of Man

Yeah I know but I meant the 3d intensive games. WOW is 3D but the details aren't exactly breath taking.
If you try playing stuff like World in Conflict, GRAW2 and the like it's going to be hell.
Stuff like the Civ series, Sim City, Football Manager... these would run fine. But for a gaming machine, laptops are generally not the way to go, especially if you have a home. Just get a desktop for that.