Video of British soldiers beating Iraqi rioters

Hmm....it is hard to tell. I guess they have to do for their job. We need to discuss about it.

Fox said:
Hmm....it is hard to tell. I guess they have to do for their job. We need to discuss about it.

Althought those guys are probably linked with radical groups but beating them and having fun doing it is not humane and is not the goal of the coalition forces and those are not there to beat the people.

But I guess we should wait until the official investigations end and then we'll be able to see if there is any thing fishy with this.

Riot control is never done with silk gloves and lace stockings - though I do react on what seems like partly uncontrolled usage of violence. Honestly nothing really shocks me anymore these days when it comes to such images - a signal of it being too common?

Move along here people. Nothing to see. Move along. :box:

Althought those guys are probably linked with radical groups but beating them and having fun doing it is not humane and is not the goal of the coalition forces and those are not there to beat the people.

A general comment: Who says you can't enjoy bringing a little punishment down on bad guys? War isn't PC and it certainly isn't humane. It is survivial. You can't always get the point across with "soft hands."

A video specific comment: It looks to me like they're giving them a little old fashioned ass pounding. The Brits were taking fire, they could have killed them. Instead, they bring them back behind the wall and give them a little of the "what for." Works for me. It was more akin to an old fashioned "spanking" or neighborhood rough-up than a real "beating."

The only mistake I see here is that they taped it and let it get out to the public. :sarc:

We don't send troops downthere to beat up kids. We send them over to arrest the insurgents and the criminal. Those images showed pure beat-for-fun.

Italian Guy said:
We don't send troops downthere to beat up kids. We send them over to arrest the insurgents and the criminal. Those images showed pure beat-for-fun.

No offense, but that's really easy to say when you aren't there. Thinking outside of the box can and will save your life at times. It certainly saved those kids lives.

It's sure easy for me to say, yes. But I do not see how the British soldiers were protecting themselves, or gaining useful information, or doing anything good for their country or Iraq by kicking and beating up those unarmed and (by then) harmless Iraqis with sticks and boots. If they were guilty of some crime they should have been simply jailed.

Italian Guy said:
It's sure easy for me to say, yes. But I do not see how the British soldiers were protecting themselves, or gaining useful information, or doing anything good for their country or Iraq by kicking and beating up those unarmed and (by then) harmless Iraqis with sticks and boots. If they were guilty of some crime they should have been simply jailed.

I didn't say the Brits were protecting themselves, I said they were giving out a little wall to wall instead of simply shooting them in the face.

What were they doing before (the Iraqis)? We don't really know, but if you go by what the Brit says, they were shooting at them. Now, if that was the case, they would have been in the clear to engage them and end their little rioting lives forever. As it stood, it looks as if they choose to give them a bit of old fashioned punishment. Everything would have been fine if they wouldn't have video taped it.

Nothing is "simple" over there.

That's just my .02 cents on the matter. Take it or leave it.

Listen PJ, what you're saying is far from meaningless IMO, and I'm not famous for my troops-bashing or "liberal" attitudes either.
I would just like to know whether this is within or beyond their ROE's.

Italian Guy said:

Have in mind this is a riot control situation and the ROE is hard to follow in such situations. What the SOP says is also a question that has to be taken into consideration.

Italian Guy said:
Listen PJ, what you're saying is far from meaningless IMO, and I'm not famous for my troops-bashing or "liberal" attitudes either.

I don't think anything you've said constitutes as "troop bashing" nor does it indicate you're a "liberal" (not that the latter would be horrible.) You and I are looking at this from different perspectives, that's all.

As for it being outside of the ROEs, most likely. That said, a lot of things happen outside of the ROEs that are not necessarily "bad."

The stupidity comes from the video tape. The rest is a pretty creative way of dealing with those guys. No one looked seriously injured, and most of the strikes were actually made towards the buttocks and lower extremities. There were a few nasty hits in there, but all in all, it looked like the original intent was to give them corrective action.

I've had to deal with those kids and they're juveniles, just like the kids over here or where you are. Sometimes they are a little thick headed and it takes a little more to get the message through. For some, a little pain now might save their lives later. And that's all I say on that. ;-)

Some questions spring to my mind, is why were these riots allowed to go on for three days with the use of tear gas, was it because the Senior Officers were to worried about the come back. Also with these kids using slings they can hurl a rock the size of a base ball about 150 yards, these rocks will not only hurt they can break your bones and even kill you. Now I am not saying that it is right what they did but I can understand their frustration in this matter. Now after these beating the riot stopped I wonder why, is once these youths found that they might get punished they stopped, may be some one might tell me. Another thing that strikes me where was the leadership from the officers in all this, could they have just left the soldiers to get on with it all. The other thing is is why was this soldier filming this sort of thing after all the troubles over pictures, and was he the one that sold it to the papers. If I was soldier these days I would smash any camera I saw some prat pointing in my direction along with the prat holding it.

I didn't say the Brits were protecting themselves, I said they were giving out a little wall to wall instead of simply shooting them in the face.

So now you have a pissed off bad guy thats gona go tell all his friends that he got abused when you could of shot the shit-head in the first place. (if they were takeing fire from them)

Rabs said:

So now you have a pissed off bad guy thats gona go tell all his friends that he got abused when you could of shot the shit-head in the first place. (if they were takeing fire from them)

shooting them would have stopped the riot. Good point Rabs:biggun:

Rabs said:

Doing a bit of Armchair Quarterbacking, are we? I believe your opinion is fit only for the rubbish bin on this matter. It is interesting to watch a 17 year old advocate the killing of juveniles by soldiers with little or no regard or concept for/of the situation at hand.

shooting them would have stopped the riot. Good point Rabs

Did your crystal ball tell you this? Perhaps you should watch the video as the rioters were E&Eing prior to the incident currently under scrutinization. Do you feel it is ok to shoot civilians in the back? To fire into a crowd where the majority are unarmed and all are vacating the area? You would not last very long under my Command.

I think British soldiers had to beat them up to learn Iraqis teenage's lesson. Not to join rioters.

Fox said:
I think British soldiers had to beat them up to learn Iraqis teenage's lesson. Not to join rioters.

That is not the purpose of occupation of Iraq.

They are there to teach them how to join the democratic world and by beating them nothing will be learned though

Back