Victory in Iraq

--

December 14th, 2005  
CIkari17

Topic: Victory in Iraq

What do you think it would take for the U.S. to declaire victory in Iraq? I know this it a bit of a vague question, so please list at least (3) summarized determining factors for victory.

As always thanks for the valued input.
December 15th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Pretty much the only real victory in Iraq at this point is when the vast majority of our troops are no longer in-theater.

We've already won the major combat, now it's just a matter of pacification. But full pacification can take generations to complete. In America we still have people flying the Southern Rebel Flag from their pick-up trucks and other guys blowing up the Oklahoma building because they think the government isn't the way it should be.
December 15th, 2005  
Warwick

A U.S victory?
How about a Coalition victory my friend?
--
December 15th, 2005  
Damien435

Smooth move, you pissed of the Brit, now you gone dun it.

Well, for starters we could get rid of this defeatist attitude in the media, this war needs to be won at home, not in Iraq. In Iraq itself time is our best ally, the insurgency, I am willing to bet, has less endurance and capacity to keep fighting than the Amer.... Coalitition forces in Iraq. If only we could get these dumbasses in the media to understand that they can tilt this war either way. (Actually, I think they understand that and realize that they will make more by reporting a loss than victory.)
December 15th, 2005  
Bory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien435
Smoot move, you pissed of the Brit, now you gone dun it.
Correction, you've done much worse, you pissed off an Aussie
December 15th, 2005  
Damien435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bory
Correction, you've done much worse, you pissed off an Aussie
How so?

Besides, still part of the Empire, just because it has evolved doesn't mean it has disapeared all together. I believe it is called the Commonwealth now, or I could just be saying random stuff that barely fits into a sentences because it is 3am and I had a 12 hour shift today, something like that.
December 15th, 2005  
Strongbow

I don't think you will call it a victory maybe some king of settlement in many decades to come.

A substantial amount of American troops will be staying in Iraq for many years.

America has too much invested already to let things fail now.
December 15th, 2005  
AussieNick

When terror attacks cease in Iraq. Simple.
As for US troops being there for many years, I'd agree with that.
Australia has just agreed to stay on for at least another year, so I'm sure we'll be in it till the end (as long as the damn Labor party doesn't get in, Bomber Beazly won't live up to his nickname).
December 15th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

I my humble opinion. Victory is already there. We just have to stop the defeatist attitude within our peoples, media, and government. If we suuport our troops. The terrorist will have little support. Everytime someone anti-war hippie opens his/her mouth. They give the terrorist another chance to recruit another murder bomber.

Iraq is just like germany after WWII. The troops are there helping create a new government. Those that once held power to not want to loose it. And there are those that believe that they can fill in the vacum of power. So as long as our boys and girls fight the good fight, and we support them. WE WILL WIN. BECAUSE WE HAVE ALREADY WON.
December 15th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Our numer one objective has been a success. Saddam Hussein is no longer in power, and any potential threat that his regime posed to the United States and the rest of the world is eliminated.

Secondary objective of keeping the peace while a new government is created isn't done yet. We'll see on that one. But since this was not the primary objective, it doesn't change that fact that the operation has already been a success and a victory.