Victoria Crosses stolen from museum

Middle of nowhere. Probably explains the long time it took for any sort of response.

Umm the Museum is on the edge of a small town and it only took a few minutes for security to respond, the problem is that it was an aggressive break in (ie. they kicked in doors and smashed the cases) which made it quicker.

Incidentally they did not get all the medals in the display and missed at least two other VC's from the collection.

Last edited:
Two weeks after the daring heist at the Waiouru Army Museum, Kat Hika remains ropeable.
She works as the museum cafe's cleaning supervisor and has watched as devastated staff have had to pick up the pieces.
"How sick is it to take something from a dead person?" she says. "That's what they did - they stole from dead people and from their families. That's what's made me so bloody angry."
Ms Hika's fury typifies the feelings of Waiouru's 500 residents.
The township is usually a quick stop for travellers on State Highway 1. Now it is the centre of international publicity - publicity some residents don't want.
"It's put us on the map for the wrong reasons,"says Ms Hika.
Everyday work goes on but the burglary on December 2 remains on everyone's mind.
Suggestions that the Army Museum's security was not up to scratch have rankled.
"No one is angry with the army but what many have forgotten is how the museum staff have been affected. The staff took ownership of the museum. They're devastated."
Theories on why the medals were taken abound. Most believe it was a professional hit, done to order, and that the medals are now overseas with a collector.
No one seriously considers it was a local person who did it.
"It's like robbing your grandmother's grave," says cafe owner Flora Rose.
"This is different from stealing a bone from the Auckland Museum ... this is memorabilia which has been fought for, and some mongrel has gone and stolen them."
The culprits should be locked in stocks, kneecapped and stoned, she says.
Crime is not a big part of life in Waiouru. The last major crime happened when a nine-year-old tagged the skateboard park, one resident remembers.
Long-time resident Jim Tweeddale says the town is safe enough not to have to lock doors.
"I guess we are catching up with the rest of the world now."
He was angry when the medals were stolen but has got over that. "I just hope they give them back."
Sophin Sun's award-winning Angkor Wat Bakery is opposite the museum on State Highway 1.
Cambodian-born Mr Sun was asleep at the back of the shop when the break-in occurred.
"I got up at 4am for work and there were police cars outside.
"The town is pretty gutted. Everyone is asking why the medals, why not the bank next door? My theory is that they had a buyer."
Not everyone is sympathetic.
Mechanic Chris Maher says the burglary is a reflection of increasing crime in the country.
The former soldier has worked in Waiouru since leaving the army in 1992.
He says no one condones the theft but there is anger, and also disbelief and amusement.
Until the medals are recovered the whole town is suspect, he says. But the publicity is probably good for the town and the museum.
"Not a lot happens here unless it snows ... now we're infamous."
Ms Hika's partner Barry Evison, a chef at Rations Cafe in the museum, says karma will prevail.
"The place is full of spirits. There are areas in the museum where I get the shivers. Whoever took them, it will come back on them."

Well I guess I should add an outcome to this thread since Infern0 can't...

Medals Return to Rightful Home

Gallantry medals stolen from the Army Museum at Waiouru in December 2007 were returned to the Army Museum Waiouru in a formal ceremony on 21 October. Chief of the NZ Army Major General Lou Gardiner said:
“We are very excited having the medals returned to their rightful home at the Army Museum Waiouru and the ceremony acknowledges the professionalism and dedication of all those involved in their successful return, including the New Zealand public.”
The returned medal sets include nine Victoria Crosses, two George Crosses and an Albert Medal, stolen from the Museum in the early morning of 2 December 2007. The medals were recovered through a dedicated police investigation, and aided by the generosity of Lord Michael Ashcroft and New Zealand businessman Mr Tom Sturgess, who offered $300,000 for their safe return.

http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/news/publications/one-force/1/medals-return.htm

Back