Victims of the Nazi's Genocide total viewpoint? - Page 2

--

November 21st, 2014  
Army0413

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC

I have watched numerous documentaries on the European Theaters (you could just as easily call it Hitler’s war). I’m in no way biased. I wonder why they often passingly mention the Nazi viewpoint on the Slavs and other non Aryans peoples and focus on the ~ 6 million Jewish people who were murdered. The Jewish people were single out like no other group for death. But without taking way from the Jewish suffering, incredible amounts of Slavs were killed. In the USSR the real figure may never be known.
Better that than we whites get murded so often.
November 21st, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army0413
Better that than we whites get murded so often.
I would suggest that being the criteria for being murdered is not restricted to colour.
November 22nd, 2014  
I3BrigPvSk

What differentiates Hitler's regime from the other mass murders is the industrial scale of the killings which occurred during the war. Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot killed not after ethnic lines rather after no lines at all, which makes things complicated to study. A genocide is much easier to see if the offender and the victims are separated ethnically, religiously, but not so easily when the genocide occurs politically.

However, the amount of victims is quite irrelevant, what is leading up to the decision to commit atrocities is for me more interesting and there is a lesson we can learn from it, if we want to. Why I am saying the body count is irrelevant is the same mind grasping of numbers, similar as how we measure distances in the universe or the time when it comes to events in our planet's past. The numbers are too great to comprehend for most people. Most people cannot picture 15 million dead, nor one million, the majority can picture perhaps 15 000. Nonetheless, the structures in the society which can allow things like that to happen is interesting. A genocide doesn't not occur from nowhere, there are steps prior the genocide we can decide if we ant to see them or not. Rwanda is pretty good example of this when we decided to ignore the signs. Of course there is another question in that; who shall take the responsibility to act when atrocities occur?
--
November 22nd, 2014  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
I would suggest that being the criteria for being murdered is not restricted to colour.
The Congo Free State 1885 to 1908 was anything but free. A private colony of Belgium's King Leopold the 2nd. Upwards to 10 million blacks died at the hands of his money hungry enterprises. Blacks that failed to meet plantation quotas were executed or mutilated.
Things improved a bit when in 1908 the Congo was transferred to direct Belgium control. However the infrastructure remained intact so abuses continued until 1960.
In 1960 the Congo gained independence and has experience corruption and internal and external wars since then. Whole scale murder and rape even cannibalism still erupts in the Congo. The average family lives at an subsistence level in a mineral rich nation.

whole scale murders and atrocities aren't limited to whites.
November 22nd, 2014  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
What differentiates Hitler's regime from the other mass murders is the industrial scale of the killings which occurred during the war. Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot killed not after ethnic lines rather after no lines at all, which makes things complicated to study. A genocide is much easier to see if the offender and the victims are separated ethnically, religiously, but not so easily when the genocide occurs politically.

However, the amount of victims is quite irrelevant, what is leading up to the decision to commit atrocities is for me more interesting and there is a lesson we can learn from it, if we want to. Why I am saying the body count is irrelevant is the same mind grasping of numbers, similar as how we measure distances in the universe or the time when it comes to events in our planet's past. The numbers are too great to comprehend for most people. Most people cannot picture 15 million dead, nor one million, the majority can picture perhaps 15 000. Nonetheless, the structures in the society which can allow things like that to happen is interesting. A genocide doesn't not occur from nowhere, there are steps prior the genocide we can decide if we ant to see them or not. Rwanda is pretty good example of this when we decided to ignore the signs. Of course there is another question in that; who shall take the responsibility to act when atrocities occur?
To repeat myself. Statistics cannot tell the human side of the story. A slave laborer being brutally worked to death. A Jewish Child be murdered, Russians pheasants being herded into barns which are then set ablaze. The numbers do help to show the enormity of the crimes.

If one looks at a packed football stadium one of the bigger ones you could get an idea of the scope of say 80 thousand people. That would be only ~ 0.4% of the people killed as a result of the Nazi's. I agree we should learn from these past atrocities inn order to help prevent them in the future.

There are even small scale genocides going on even presently such as the Assyrian Christians in Iraq and certain tribes in the Sudan.
November 22nd, 2014  
Kesse81

The most deep-seated of all instincts in all mobile organisms is the will to survive. Threats to survival are acted upon with the highest priority. Tribalism to the point of war is normal (instinctive) in the human. Genocide, the driving off or killing off of a particular racial or ethnic group is normal (instinctive) in the human. Genocide started millions of years ago when tribes raided each other's camps. Tribalism is a basic instinct in the human species, one that was developed over a period of 4 million years or longer. A different language, appearance, apparel, behavior, etc. is instinctively a danger sign. Ethnic differences become tools to inflame the public and obtain their cooperation.
November 22nd, 2014  
lljadw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
The Congo Free State 1885 to 1908 was anything but free. A private colony of Belgium's King Leopold the 2nd. Upwards to 10 million blacks died at the hands of his money hungry enterprises.
The number of 10 million is British/ US propaganda
November 22nd, 2014  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
To repeat myself. Statistics cannot tell the human side of the story. A slave laborer being brutally worked to death. A Jewish Child be murdered, Russians pheasants being herded into barns which are then set ablaze. The numbers do help to show the enormity of the crimes.

If one looks at a packed football stadium one of the bigger ones you could get an idea of the scope of say 80 thousand people. That would be only ~ 0.4% of the people killed as a result of the Nazi's. I agree we should learn from these past atrocities inn order to help prevent them in the future.

There are even small scale genocides going on even presently such as the Assyrian Christians in Iraq and certain tribes in the Sudan.
The individuals committing the atrocities shall be punished for what they did. If we talk about what the Nazis did. The individuals responsible for different crimes and in these cases we shall discuss details and the amount of killings they were responsible for. Then we have others, the administrator, the clerks in different levels. They never participated in the killings but they didn't do anything to stop it either. Suddenly we need to fear those who follows the law. One way around this problem is to find high ranked people within different departments and agencies. They used this approach during the Nuremberg Trials. However, with this approach many Nazis were never punished for what they did.