Vet's Unemployment Rate Skyrockets

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
Vet's Unemployment Rate Skyrockets
Agence France-Presse | November 14, 2005
WASHINGTON - The return to civilian life for U.S. soldiers deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan is full of pitfalls, with an unemployment rate three times the national average.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics says that for the first three quarters of 2005, nearly 15 percent of veterans aged 20-24 are jobless -- three times the national average.

According to the website VeteransToday, published by veterans for veterans, the high unemployment rate is "partly because most service members seriously injured in Iraq and Afghanistan are in the early stages of their military careers and possess limited transferable job skills or very little civilian work experience".

The government is also worried about the number of veterans without a permanent address.

"The tragedy of homelessness among veterans persists, even when the economy is robust and unemployment is low," the California Department of Veterans Affairs said.

"Homeless veterans require remedial education, job-search and counseling assistance, medical services and transitional housing in order to re-enter the labor market," the agency said in a statement.

Some 200,000 persons leave active military service each year. The government wants to convince U.S. employers to hire them.

To tackle the problem, the U.S. government launched a series of initiatives to come to their aid. The U.S. Veterans Administration created in October a project titled, "Fulfilling the Commitment -- Coming Home to Work" a public-private effort so they "will have employment opportunities when they return home from the war on terrorism," the Veterans Administration said in a statement.

"The young men and women who protect our way of life need to know that they will have the opportunity to work and to take care of their families once they are discharged from military service," said James Nicholson, secretary of Veterans Affairs.

The Department of Labor announced Thursday a six-month public relations campaign aimed at veterans returning to work in civilian life.

The Veterans Administration also plans a web page, REALifelines, especially for veterans wounded in combat.

Job fairs for veterans are also being organized. One of them, earlier this month, was attended by thousands of vets. One of the organizations at the Veterans Job Fair and Career Expo in New York, the National Hire Veterans Committee, encourages employers to recruit veterans on its website www.HireVetsFirst.gov.

"Your organization depends on reliable, resilient human capital. Veterans of America's armed forces have the skills, training and character to meet your toughest challenges for today and tomorrow. That's why the President's National Hire Veterans Committee wants you to know that hiring veterans is not just goodwill. It's good business."

I know all about not having the job skills part. Being an Forward Observer did not impress the civilian employers much. But the fact that I was always on time, worked hard and had a good attitude, and did not complain put me well above my coworkers.

You must also factor in that some soldiers milk the unemployment system. Because I was deployed and my pay was so high, I qualified for $1250 a month unemployment. Thats the equivalent to getting paid $8 an hour. There is not much motivation to get a job at $7 an hour with 40 hours of work a week when you can sit on your butt and make more on unemployment. This is the attitude a lot of soldiers have as they ETS

Doody

I have found that although my training did not transfer to the civilian side the fact I was a vet often times got me the job over others who weren't. Are people really riding the dole now?

Back