The Veterans of Foreign Wars Formally Annouce Their Position on Iraq

Airborne Eagle

[URL="http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=news.newsDtl&did=2963"]Link[/url]

VFW Passes Resolution to Support War in Iraq

Washington, Jan. 4, 2006

The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. passed a national resolution yesterday to support the president and the war in Iraq as part of the larger global war on terrorism. VFW Resolution 440 also stipulates that American forces should remain in Iraq in sufficient numbers until Iraqi forces can provide security for their own nation.

The out of session move by America’s largest organization of combat veterans to support the war is meant to get the nation refocused on supporting the troops instead of armchair quarterbacking the how and why the war in Iraq began.

“You can’t support the troops without supporting their mission and the president as they work to bring security and stability to a region of the world that is the centerpiece of the war on terrorism,” said VFW Commander-in-Chief Jim Mueller, a Vietnam veteran from O’Fallon, Mo.

“Once the decision is made to commit our forces, our nation’s number one priority must be to support the troops so that they can accomplish their mission and return home to their families with their heads held high,” he said.

“Our servicemen and women recognize the importance of their mission because they are witnessing positive changes every day in the lives of the Iraqi people and the future of the Iraqi nation. They ask for nothing less than America’s unwavering support so that they can remain focused on accomplishing that mission,” he said. “To withdraw our forces prematurely would be a win for the enemy and a real threat to the rest of the Middle East and to the American homeland.”

[URL="http://www.vfw.org/resources/pdf/R440SupporttheWarinIraq.pdf"]Click to read resolution[/url]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a proud member of the VFW since 1992 or so and I'm currently the Post Commander for my post. This makes me even prouder of my comrades.

"Honoring the dead by helping the living."

“You can’t support the troops without supporting their mission and the president as they work to bring security and stability to a region of the world that is the centerpiece of the war on terrorism,” said VFW Commander-in-Chief Jim Mueller, a Vietnam veteran from O’Fallon, Mo.

My sentiments exactly.

I still wonder what there personal opinion is. This act of solidarity is very understandable from a group, especially this group and I figured they would say that. You don't question your country...... but this doesn't show what their own opinion is, does it? And that is what interests me.

Airborne Eagle said:
What exactly are you looking for? It seems pretty clear to me.

Okay... example: I am a teacher right? Whenever school makes a public statement, the entire staff stands behind this statement. On more then one occasion I didn't exactly agree, but whenever somebody asked me I answered as I was supposed to do.
In my prior post I touched this point. I was wonderen if all the vets shared this view. I know many will, but I am also interested in the ones that do question the Iraq war.

Oh, I'm sure there are members of the VFW who do not support the Iraq War. They do not make the majority of members, though (or I'd imagine the resolution would read differently). I don't have any polling figures regarding VFW members and their opinions on the situation,

Airborne Eagle said:
Oh, I'm sure there are members of the VFW who do not support the Iraq War. They do not make the majority of members, though (or I'd imagine the resolution would read differently). I don't have any polling figures regarding VFW members and their opinions on the situation,

I talk with other members of the American Legion at our meetings and I have yet to talk to anyone who has told me that they do not support the war against terror and that fighting it in Afghanistan and Iraq is wrong. This is after the business meeting and these are the type of guys who would say it if they thought it. I'm pretty sure the VFW is made up of similar people. A soldier is a little different case than a student who is at the age where they have other things on their minds.

VFW has quite a few OEF and OIF vets as members now too, so they aren't totally without insight into our current conflicts.

You can’t support the troops without supporting their mission and the president

This is too true. I get weary of people wanting the best of both worlds. On the one hand, they want to trash the POTUS and shout about how wrong being in Iraq is, or how we're losing. On the other, they want to "support the troops." You can't do both. Demeaning our mission is the same as demeaning us.

That's not to say those that disagree with the war and the current POTUS are anti-military, a lot of them aren't. But they aren't supporting us, and things would be a lot better if they could face that reality.

If you're going to have convictions, you have to stand by them and not be wishy washy.

Ted,
It kinda came to me.

Did you know that the VFW is an organization and that I wasn't speaking in general terms about "veteran of foreign wars?"

Airborne Eagle said:
Ted,
It kinda came to me.

Did you know that the VFW is an organization and that I wasn't speaking in general terms about "veteran of foreign wars?"

AE, I think he does. I believe he was asking about the individual persons within the VFW and what their opinion(s) are as individuals. E.g. America has a policy but some of the citizens do not agree with it.

You answered his question/comment with:

Airborne Eagle said:

Yep Marinerhodes, that was my point on this one! And AE answered it too... I guess you could say you hit the nail on the head! (With this thread off course :))

Back