Veterans Day

Another, if I may?
WWll...Alsace Lorraine??? I heard one side was German, the other French.
Thanks

Dadsgirl

Alsace Lorraine has changed hands between Germany and France several times. It has both German and French speaking peoples which kind of explains the reason for this. Since WW2 it has been included in France who also control Alsace Lorraine in the period between the great wars. Before WW1 it was part of Germany as it was during WW2.

Just think it is striking.
I can see it on this forum.

Personally I think it is ignorant to call Germans Nazis, or to clump all Americans into a single group. Or even all of us into a single group. Not saying that you personally are ignorant, just that the practice is.

We all like the thought that the Wehrmacht and NAZI's were separate entities however because of the times one couldn't exist without the other , one of my favorite WWII Generals was Rommel but he was just as much a NAZI as Werner Von Braun .

We all like the thought that the Wehrmacht and NAZI's were separate entities however because of the times one couldn't exist without the other , one of my favorite WWII Generals was Rommel but he was just as much a NAZI as Werner Von Braun .

Rommel refused orders to execute any Jewish troops captured.

Rommel was very close to Hitler, but became disillusioned with him in 44, when he was put in charge of troops in France. Being the soldier he was he still remained loyal and refused to take part in the plot against Hitler. However he was still suspect which lead to his forced suicide at the hands of the Nazi's.

Captured British troops by the Afrika Korps had nothing but praise for Rommel, Rommel ensured that POW's were treated decently.

Captured British troops by the Afrika Korps had nothing but praise for Rommel, Rommel ensured that POW's were treated decently.

Unfortunately he was nominally in command of troops in Normandy. This included numerous SS divisions which committed war crimes against both civilians and POW's such as "Das Reich" and the "12 SS Hitlerjugend". These crimes were never ordered or approved of by Rommel and the command situation was complex in that he was in change "nominally of all divisions at the front", but the SS divisions had some autonomy. This was also during the period in which Rommel became very disillusioned with Hitler and the conduct of the war.

Rommel was Commander of Army Group B.
Only 2 SS Pz and 17 SS Pz Gr divisions were under Rommel's direct control.

Rommel had to go because he was aware of the plot against Hitler but didn't warn Hitler of it so Rommel's allegiance to Hitler was in question , Rommel was given the option of committing suicide and receive full honors and his family would be protected or go on trial and no guarantees .

Rommel was Commander of Army Group B.
Only 2 SS Pz and 17 SS Pz Gr divisions were under Rommel's direct control.

Rommel personally oversaw the bitter fighting around Caen. So Hausser, Meyer and Dietrich who fought in Normandy in the Caen area were not under Rommel’s command? The British and the Canadians faced I believe at least 4 SS divisions (I believe panzer, if my memory doesn’t fail me).

Last edited:
I have read somewhere; Rommel tried to punish the soldiers from the 2nd SS responsible for what happened in Oradur. He was, however, not allowed to do so.

I think I read it in book by John Keegan.

Himmler was most defiantly subordinate to Hitler as were all the Nazi's and military. He practically worshipped Hitler except at the end when he turned on him.

In the end Himmler wasn't as stupid as he looked or maybe was stupider than he looked , trying to make a deal with the allies when he had nothing to bargain with .

Goering made a big joke of himself as well.
He thought the allies were going to treat him like a celebrity.
You can see the clips of his capture-his demeanor shrunk as the day went on.
himmler might have been the evilest nazi, but there is really no comparing evil.

Hitler is most evil man in history even if he have Nazi Germany on his side plus 1000 life guards. Near all jewish killed.

Maybe 2000-4000 jewish celebrate new life in Jerusalem after Poland and Italy gasoline.

Last edited:
In the end Himmler wasn't as stupid as he looked or maybe was stupider than he looked , trying to make a deal with the allies when he had nothing to bargain with .

Himmler was a coward in the end. He avoided getting close to front lines during the war. Despite making statement's like" if 5000 thousand Russian woman die digging an anti tank ditch, it is worth it if it saves the live of a single German soldier". In the end he tried to weasel his way out of the inevitable to save his skin.

Back