Veterans Day

My grand father from Finland the nazi gives chocalate to him in WW2 when nazi Germany and Finland stand together in Finland against Sovjet before there attack Sovjet.

I don't know if I would call the Nazi invasion of the USSR as standing together. Although to their credit Finland refused to take additional territory than that taken form Finland in the Winter War. The Finns were not entirely w/o guilt as they sent troops to fight with Hitler (Germany) on the Ostheer.

I don't know if I would call the Nazi invasion of the USSR as standing together. Although to their credit Finland refused to take additional territory than that taken form Finland in the Winter War. The Finns were not entirely w/o guilt as they sent troops to fight with Hitler (Germany) on the Ostheer.

JOC, my birth father (proud Finn),told me of the Finns fighting with the Nazis... against the greater good. He also told me at one point that the Finns wisened up then fought AGAINST the Nazis... and beat them back. True?

Dadsgirl
p.s. he was a child at the time, in Finland.

JOC, my birth father (proud Finn),told me of the Finns fighting with the Nazis... against the greater good. He also told me at one point that the Finns wisened up then fought AGAINST the Nazis... and beat them back. True?

Dadsgirl
p.s. he was a child at the time, in Finland.

Actually the Finns fought mainly with Germany to gain back territory taken by the USSR in the Winter War. A war that The USSR stated with Finland the year prior to WW2 in which they seized Finnish territory.

During WW2 Finland's main goal was to gain back the territories lost to the Soviets earlier. Germany was irate that the Finns wouldn't advance further then their original boundaries into Soviet territory. However Finland sent a small force to fight with the Waffen SS. Perhaps they were caught between a rock and hard place.

Finland was the 1st of Germany allies to turn sides and fight against Germany in 44.

I hope that helps?

Actually Hungry fought on the German side until April 1945. They were Germany's last remaining ally.

Everyone with the exception of Hungry .

Yes the rest of them went over to the Soviet side (Romania, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia) or fought independently "Finland" against Germany in 1944.

Although Tito managed to prevent Yugoslavia from entering into Soviet bloc (later called the Warsaw pact).

Of course Italy surrendered in 43. After 43 the Italian partisans caused much more damage to the Germans, than support the Germans received from Mussolini's pro German puppet government.

One thing has always puzzled me.
How can it be that, especially Americans, consistently refers to everything German from WWII as Nazi. It´s always Nazi soldier and never German soldier.
I know that the Germans today find it inconsiderate.

Finland was forced by the Soviets to fight against Germany. But it was not until March 3, 1945 before Finland declares war on Germany

How can it be that, especially Americans, consistently refers to everything German from WWII as Nazi. It´s always Nazi soldier and never German soldier.

Finland was forced by the Soviets to fight against Germany. But it was not until March 3, 1945 before Finland declares war on Germany

I believe it is simply common misconception. Believe it or not, there is a difference between a Nazi and a German Soldier. A German Soldier being someone who fought in the German war machine, whereas "Nazi" refers to the political party running the show. Although it is generally assumed that German Soldiers were Nazis, this is not always the case.

If you check, for example the media, then you will find that it´s not only individuals. but also other things that are designated Nazi.

Nazi submarine, Nazi aircraft and so on.
Just find it odd.

If you check, for example the media, then you will find that it´s not only individuals. but also other things that are designated Nazi.

Nazi submarine, Nazi aircraft and so on.
Just find it odd.

Yes, why do you think that is? The media can manipulate the views of the public. Therefore the media pours out anti-Nazi propaganda. Which results people pouring more into the war effort; working harder at the factories, buying more war bonds. You cannot fight a war without supplies and money, and where do the supplies and money come from?

So because of what happened almost 70 years ago, you still this day use the term Nazi for everything German from back then

I know the Germans quite well. They are our neighbors and I frequently go to Germany. I am also often on exercises with the German Army.

Thanks guys, JOC, Kesse81 for your knowledge!

Another, if I may?
WWll...Alsace Lorraine??? I heard one side was German, the other French.
Thanks

Dadsgirl

So because of what happened almost 70 years ago, you still this day use the term Nazi for everything German from back then

I know the Germans quite well. They are our neighbors and I frequently go to Germany. I am also often on exercises with the German Army.

Stop generalizing. You can't clump all of the people in the United States into such an incredibly simple generalization.

In the west most of the atrocities were committed by the SS units (killing of civilians and POWs). The “Barbarossa jurisdiction Decree”, which exempted German soldiers from prosecution if they committed a crimes against Soviet civilians, meant a radical departure from traditional military conduct for the Wehrmacht. In the east the Wehrmacht (not the SS only) readily committed crimes against humanity. Since ~65% of the Wehrmacht fought in the east this makes a lot of regular German army party to some of the worst atrocities in history (a minimum of 15 million Soviet civilians were killed – murdered as a direct result of the German invasion, some historians put the figure at > 20 million). Of course this would make modern Germans (the vast majority who have had nothing to do with the war or the Nazi party) feel uncomfortable. However this is the history. I personally worked for Germans and have been to Germany and find them to be a friendly and unpretentious people. What more would you have me say about the modern day Germans (not Nazi’s).

On 4 September 1944 a ceasefire was agreed upon between Finland and the USSR, and the Moscow armistice was signed on 19 September. Finland ceded territories to the USSR, and to expel German forces from Finland proper. The Lapland war was fought afterword’s in which Finland reluctantly pushed the Germans out of northern Finland. This war was pushed on the Finns by the Soviets who were frustrated by the Finns lack of speed in expelling German forces.

The provinces have alternately been German and French in the past. They were part of the Holy German Roman Empire in about a thousand years until 1648, when it was ceded to France.

After the Franco-Prussian War in 1871, which France lost. Alsace and Lorraine were ceded to the new German Empire. France's desire to recapture the lost provinces, was the driving force behind the French foreign policy until the first world war and led to the establishment of the alliances that would isolate Germany. The provinces became French after WWI and again German 1940-1945, and since 1945 have been French again.

Back