Veterans Day

Still don't remember talking with you , I'm sure you are an interesting fellow perhaps you could say something interesting so we can both know how interesting you are .

Yes that is a thought he replied to you on my thread but still has me on ignore make sense yes that make's a lot of sense .

Veterans Day...Armistice Day...Remembrance Day

Hope all the veterans know how much we appreciate your service. I know that it wasn't always this way and maybe some day the ones who felt the pain of coming home to a country that didn't, some day they'll find forgiveness(peace).

This belongs here on the Veterans Day thread.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B81kW814qA"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B81kW814qA[/ame]​
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86J_RTfg_zQ"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=86J_RTfg_zQ[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sR6W_fM-s"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-sR6W_fM-s[/ame]​

Wiki info:
Veterans Day is an official United States holiday that honors people who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces, also known as veterans. It is a federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the end of World War I (major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect). The United States also originally observed Armistice Day; it then evolved into the current Veterans Day holiday in 1954.​

Last edited:
A great soldier comes from a great Country they have mutual admiration .

Exactly, just like Nepal and the Ghurkas, the PAVN and Vietnam, and the Legionaires and France(kind of). We all know only great soldiers come from great nations.

I still say France would have been a German colony without the 3 million plus Americans “800 thousand combat veterans” and several million Common Wealth Troops who freed her. Many of the gravesyards in the Williams video testify to this. The US lost ~ 70 Thousand killed freeing France in WW2 "not including airmen", the Common Wealth Losses were even higher.

Last edited:
10 years ago today I was sitting inside of a building of rubble getting ready to assault yet another house. I was thinking to myself "happy freakin veterans day"....It lacked context at the time. I had at that point been in straight up sustained, no holds barred, (like bayonets on rifles) combat since the decision was made to assault the city of Fallujah on the 8th or 9th of November...we didn't know we would be in another 4 weeks of daily fighting at the time. We didn't know if we were going to survive to the next day, or even the next hour. Being a veteran at that time didn't mean a whole lot and even if people tried to express to me gratitude, how on earth could I receive it in a way that could pay tribute to all the guys we would lose in those weeks? How could anyone ever understand anything that was happening to us? I was too busy trying to survive and killing...yes...lots of killing.

That was 10 years ago.

Now I can look back at the men we were. I can look back at the men I served with. How we could always laugh even when things got really bad. How they were able to do things that I didn't think were possible...I saw valor and sacrifice that I didn't know humans could muster...I saw the terrible price of war and the devastation that it brings...I also saw the enduring human spirit and how it can transcend any setback or tragedy.

I was attached to the 3rd Bn 1st Marines for this operation on Veterans Day 10 years ago...Semper Fi devil dogs, this soldier will stand his ground next to you guys any day.

10 years ago today I was sitting inside of a building of rubble getting ready to assault yet another house. I was thinking to myself "happy freakin veterans day"....It lacked context at the time. I had at that point been in straight up sustained, no holds barred, (like bayonets on rifles) combat since the decision was made to assault the city of Fallujah on the 8th or 9th of November...we didn't know we would be in another 4 weeks of daily fighting at the time. We didn't know if we were going to survive to the next day, or even the next hour. Being a veteran at that time didn't mean a whole lot and even if people tried to express to me gratitude, how on earth could I receive it in a way that could pay tribute to all the guys we would lose in those weeks? How could anyone ever understand anything that was happening to us? I was too busy trying to survive and killing...yes...lots of killing.

That was 10 years ago.

Now I can look back at the men we were. I can look back at the men I served with. How we could always laugh even when things got really bad. How they were able to do things that I didn't think were possible...I saw valor and sacrifice that I didn't know humans could muster...I saw the terrible price of war and the devastation that it brings...I also saw the enduring human spirit and how it can transcend any setback or tragedy.

I was attached to the 3rd Bn 1st Marines for this operation on Veterans Day 10 years ago...Semper Fi devil dogs, this soldier will stand his ground next to you guys any day.

It is a small World, indeed. While you were there, I was roughly 120km North of you, in Samarra. After the attack on Samarra, we camped there to rebuild damaged infrastructure, some of which we needed to advance.

I can say that Dad didn't hear "thank you", " welcome home " until I said the words to him, about a year before he was diagnosed.
His reply stumbled out... " Thank you ".
I was like " no Da, thank YOU . I love you."

( I was like wow)

My heartfelt Thanks go out to both you guys!!! It's so easy to look at our glorious victories over the evil Nazi and Japanese empires and overlook the more recent but no less difficult contributions in Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. You men make it very apparent that it not the body count (400 or 500) hundred thousand for WW2 vs. ~ 4.5 thousand in Iraq but the sacrifices made by the individual men that fought and served there.

You have my respect guys. I have said it before to war vets, write down your experiences. Many years from now when your children and grandchildren want to know what you did when you were in the service. Don't do it only for them, tell them and others about the men you were there with.

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=X10lvD1Fs3Q"]We Will Remember Them - YouTube[/ame]

That was 10 years ago.

Utmost respect brinktk

One of our objectives was to throw up a bridge in a hurry so that the M1's could move up. We started around 1900, and it should have taken us "four hours". Twelve hours later, no sleep, n non-stop through the night, we put the final rivets in the deck of the bridge. We got the hell out of the way, and the M1's rolled over. We went back to our make shift camp, and basically passed out from exhaustion and lack of food.

Back