Veteran of a highly unusual service period

jd03150

Now about the turn the corner on 73, I have lived for the last 15+ years in Ukraine, where it has been possible to pursue my interest in Soviet history up close and personal with a lot of those guys who knew it from the inside. My active duty career was about as odd as it gets, all in civilian clothes at a number of posting -- never on a military base -- with what was in those days [1960-65] known as U.S. Army Counterintelligence Corps. Most of my work was background investigations for security clearances, but I ran the operations desk for CIC in Miami during the Cuban missile crisis, which had it high points.

Having just gotten married for the first time in 1964 and facing what the Army referred to as an "unaccompanied tour" in either Korea or more likely Viet Nam, I took the option of reverting to reserve status and happily went on to a life in radio/TV followed by 17 years with the Committee on Agriculture of the U.S. House of Representatives, most of it as press secretary.

Since 1994, have lived full-time in Ukraine, where I am editor and publisher of an online news daily, Ukraine Business Online [link below]. If you have any interest in this part of the world, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, etc., you might want to punch up the link occasionally. Also, if you have specific questions or comments, contact me here or on jd03150@yahoo.com.

Best regards from Kyiv [Kiev], Ukraine
38-050-352-0644 [cell 24/7/365]
http://www.ukrainebusiness.com.ua/

Back