Very misleading...

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE55H40J20090618

Basically says "Pilot dies, Plane lands safely in Newark." What sort of impression do you get from a headline like that? Right, you get the impression that the pilot died, there was no one in control and somehow the plane managed to land on autopilot or something.
We aren't even told it's a passenger airplane, just an airplane. Could have been a single engined prop plane carrying no one but the pilot for all we know!
Even though we know that there is a copilot in airliners, that's the sort of impression such a title gives. You'd think that a copilot would know how to land an airplane, right? Although the loss of a pilot is unfortunate landing under the control of a copilot is hardly news.

Yeah it's like a game of "HAH! Made you look!"
How many times you you seen headlines like this on the cover of newspapers, and how many times have you fallen for these dirty tricks and bought the paper??.. :lol:

You're not getting any SEX NOW but the price of milk is going up

Weird I got the impression that the pilot died and the plane landed safely.

I am not sure what the complaint is here as the headline is 100% accurate especially since the purpose of a headline is to attract attention and usually to encourage the reading of the following copy while still being accurate.

It would have been misleading had it been...
- Plane lands safely with dead pilot at controls.
- Pilotless airliner lands safely.
etc. etc.

I really think people need to stop over analysing a pet issue to create a problem.

Last edited:
Of course it's not lying, but it is misleading.
Often here what they'll have are people selling watermelons from their trucks. It'll have a huge sign... something like "$5 ONLY!" and the first thing you'll see is a mound of large watermelons. When you try to buy one, you realize the $5 watermelons are in the back somewhere and are tiny.
Sure, the seller wasn't lying. Some of the watermelons are indeed $5, but misleading... very misleading.

Would be sort of like... "Teacher leaves classroom due to emergency; classroom discipline is maintained." You pick up the article to see how those kids managed to stay disciplined among themselves only to find out that the mean vice principal stepped in to sub for the rest of the class.

Weird I got the impression that the pilot died and the plane landed safely.

I am not sure what the complaint is here as the headline is 100% accurate especially since the purpose of a headline is to attract attention and usually to encourage the reading of the following copy while still being accurate.

It would have been misleading had it been...
- Plane lands safely with dead pilot at controls.
- Pilotless airliner lands safely.
etc. etc.

I really think people need to stop over analysing a pet issue to create a problem.

There is nothing at all misleading in that headline...
Pilot dies, plane lands safely in Newark

Well the pilot did die and the plane did land safely in Newark they are the only two salient points in the story and it is mentioned in the headline personally I think it is an example of very restrained and precise journalism and the writer should be commended.

Now I realise on these boards it is "PC" to attack the media but for s**ts sake at least target deserving cases.

I am really not sure what is going on with these boards of late, we have whinging over a Senator wanting to be called Senator, people jumping down the throats of a woman that wants to keep her dog and others abusing a woman happy her SO returned from bootcamp, seriously this is just becoming sad.

Last edited:
Back