Venezuelan Middle Class Flees - Page 3

--
Venezuelan Middle Class Flees

April 14th, 2006  
bulldogg

Venezuela was a South American Cuba pre-Castro style. Well developed, happy upwardly mobile middle class, good infrastructure... a crowning achievement of a huge bridge built in 1953 collapsed recently from a complete lack of maintainance, my doc tells me it is symbolic of what has happened.
April 14th, 2006  
Ted

So by that ratio Bulldogg, the Cuba from Batista's days would also have been called a "developed country"? I'll see if I can find the most often used indicators for measuring a country's development standard. A gdp isn't enough by a long shot. Social mobility and a well maintained infra structure are though, so you might be right.
April 14th, 2006  
Italian Guy

For anyone who knows Cuba the country was obviously more developed under Batista than it is under Castro.
--
April 14th, 2006  
Ted

That depends, again, on what socio-economic indicators are used. And Cuba could have been underdeveloped under Batista and even more under developed under Castro....
April 14th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Compared to the rest of the region it was developed then and underdeveloped today.
April 14th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
Compared to the rest of the region it was developed then and underdeveloped today.
I'll have a look into this this weekend, see if I can find some good figures on the topic. Let's see if I can change your point of view on this topic. I'll keep politics and the lot out of it, alright?
April 14th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Sure, let's just try not to hijack the thread.
April 15th, 2006  
Ted

You are right IG. I'll leave this thread be and start a new one. First research and then my thread.
April 16th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Cuba during Batista's days was a devolped country.

Cuba had the first three color TV stations in the western hemisphere. Cuba actaully had AMerican Automobile companies release their cars in the Cuban market for before they were released in the American market. Cuba was the place to be.

Night Clubs, Hotels, beaches, and business. Cuba was the main source for Sugar back then too. Cuba's Sugar Cane Farms were the world's best. Also the tobacco farms and tobacco factories were top notch.

American and European businesses loved Cuba.

Sorry Ted, Cuba was one of the leading nations in the Western Himesphere other than Canada and the USA before the days of Castro.

I know, I WAS THERE AND SO WAS MY FAMILY.
April 17th, 2006  
bulldogg

Umm, Luis, how old are you?