Venezuela Test Fires Russian Missiles From Sukhoi, Battleship

rock45

Venezuela Test Fires Russian Missiles From Sukhoi, Battleship

By Daniel Cancel
June 6 (Bloomberg) -- Venezuela's military fired its first test missile from a recently acquired Russian Sukhoi fighter jet and launched its first seaborne missile in 13 years, showcasing new capabilities in exercises carried live on state television.
The missiles hit targets described as ``two ships gone adrift'' 36 kilometers (22.4 miles) from the shore, Defense Minister Gustavo Rangel Briceno said. President Hugo Chavez, who in May said he personally would fire the first missile from a Sukhoi, didn't attend today's joint Navy-Air Force exercises. Cameras on the beach at Orchila Island broadcast the tests.
Venezuela spent $4.4 billion in weapons purchases from 2003 to 2006 to modernize its armed forces, according to a report by the U.S. Congressional Research Service. Chavez has bought most of his new weapons from Russia after the U.S. refused to sell Venezuela F-16 jet replacement parts in 2005. He has denied being in an arms race, saying the country is threatened by the U.S. and is simply strengthening its defense systems.
``Our defense policy is oriented toward preserving our territorial integrity,'' Defense Minister Gustavo Rangel Briceno said in comments broadcast by state television. ``The missiles hit their target showing the operational capacity of the armed forces.''
Frigates
The joint exercise between the Air Force and ships from the Antonio Diaz naval base on Orchila Island, about 180 kilometers north of Caracas, tested Russian-made KH 59 and KH 29 air-to- surface missiles, and a 500 kilo KAB television-guided bomb, according to an e-mailed statement from the Information Ministry.
The Venezuelan Navy is expecting to refurbish two frigates, a transport ship and a submarine by December, and will receive the first of eight military patrol ships being built in Spain next year, said General Zahin Quintana Castro, the head of the Navy. The exercises took place on the same island where on May 17 a U.S. Navy S-3 aircraft was detected in Venezuelan airspace by local authorities while flying over the military base. The U.S. Defense Department said the pilot had experienced navigational problems and was guided back to international airspace.
The incident caused Chavez to accuse the U.S. of spying on the base and trying to test Venezuela's reaction capacity.
The U.S. Navy will reactivate its Fourth Fleet to patrol the Caribbean on July 1, disbanded in 1950, in support of counter-terrorism operations. Defense Minister Briceno said the reactivation represents a ``sovereign decision by the U.S. but is a threat to the Caribbean and the entire region,'' Briceno said.

Link
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aCaqEiHYmBk8&refer=latin_america

Venezuela is just doing things the South American way-- big army, no intent to use it. Look at what happened to the only country that ever did. (Argentina, Falkland War)

Not stable

Sadly one day this Chavez will order some poor pilot to fire one of the anti-ship missiles at what they think is a US vessel. What's next airliners and cruise ships must all be spying for the Americans. I hope the poor souls who have they fingers on the triggers know better. If I were in the Colombian Navy I would be concern because anti-ship missiles are deadly. I would have thought his pilots would be cleared for air to air first you know get the basics down first. Still can't find anything on the air to air missile training or the number of missiles sold? I find this troubling because this weapons is designed to hit a big steel object/ship from many, many miles away. Picking your target, locking in your target, making sure other ships aren't in the path, and I'm sure more things I'm leaving out that you have to get just right. Even in a case of a mistake and the pilot radios the ship being targeted in covers 20 or so miles in minutes. What if he orders these Flankers armed with anti-ship missiles or other weapons to fly up to Cuba just to say hello? That's 90 miles from mainland USA and you know he would have full press coverage for that.

Argentina destroyed it's economy for 20+ year and lost and killed so many soldiers/sailer's because of this useless war. A war over some stupid basically frozen rocks with sheep on them and a place where the locals voted on staying under English control in the first place. Argentina's government had no idea how much worse it may have got for them if England started hitting targets on Argentina itself.

There were a lot of brave people on both sides who died in this war and was the first time I ever saw on TV what a semi modern anti-ship missiles can do. I read in other forums that the Argentinean aircraft didn't have radar warning devices install. They didn't even know the Harriers were tracking them no wonder why so many were shot down. Most wars are wasteful and unneeded but this one over basically frozen sheep farms must top the lists. Maybe I'm not old enough but I can't think of a more useless reason to fight a war for then this one.

SRBM's now...what later? Venezuela's paranoid nut job of a 'leader' sees the USA as a threat to him since we operate in Colombia and he regularly supplies the Red Rebs in Colombia. I wouldn't even put it past him to allow the Islamist crowd to pass through Venezuela on a regular basis.

If he gets big enough, he'll buddy up to the scumbags in Mexico and give them equipment to launch into the US on a regular basis. The current administration's testicles haven't dropped yet, so he will continue to appease the Russkies and the Venezuelans and let them do whatever they bloody well please.

Mark my words...there's eventually gonna be trouble here. John Milius is still around, maybe he will make another Red Dawn movie with Venezuela and Mexico as principals with Russian backing. More of a guerrilla insurgency/Gaza Strip situation than an all out war though.

Last edited:
Back