VC for Overlord

muscogeemike

I have recently read of the only man to receive a VC for the Normandy landings, a CSM Hollis, who apparently was quite a character in addition to being one hell of a soldier.

My question is what happened to him (I read he was wounded in Sept 44) and is CSM a rank or name initials? If it is a rank what rank is it?

In the US Army CSM is a Command Sergeant Major and I get the impression Mr. Hollis didn’t hold that high of a rank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Hollis

His name was Stanley Elton Hollis and CSM was his appointment title.

In the British Army and Commonwealth Armies, CSM stands for Company Sergeant Major, which isn't a rank, but an appointment usually held by Warrant Officer Class 2, or Master Warrant Officer in the Canadian Army. The rank is on par with a US Army First Sergeant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_Sergeant_Major

So you wouldn't have been far off with the Command Sergeant Major guess!

Cheers

Second highest soldier rank there is. So it's pretty high up there. On a side note I don't think my BSM would agree with the first sergeant comparison....

No, that's a Royal Military Police Corporal. ;) In the British Army it is true that Warrant Officer class 2 holds the appointment Company Sergeant Major. There are also the appointments Battery Sergeant Major (artillery) Garrison Sergeant Major (usually a WO1 - self explanatory) and Troop Sergeant Major (engineers). It also gets awkward once you get into the Horse Cavalry Regiments with their Company Corporal Major - just to confuse you. :lol:

No, that's a Royal Military Police Corporal. ;) In the British Army it is true that Warrant Officer class 2 holds the appointment Company Sergeant Major. There are also the appointments Battery Sergeant Major (artillery) Garrison Sergeant Major (usually a WO1 - self explanatory) and Troop Sergeant Major (engineers). It also gets awkward once you get into the Horse Cavalry Regiments with their Company Corporal Major - just to confuse you. :lol:

Trust the Dobbin brigade to confuse things.

Back