Vatican reaffirms celibacy for priests (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - The Vatican on Thursday reaffirmed the value of celibacy for priests after a summit led by Pope Benedict XVI that was spurred by a married African archbishop who has been excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church.

More...

LOL...So much for that...I saw that on the news last night...I was thinking is it really that bad for preists to be married? I mean, as long as they're married, they are approved by God if they engage in sexual activities, right? What makes them so subject to different rules?

yoda.jpg

Self discipline, yes, much you have to learn little one, yes

Last edited:
Damn!! I'll never be Pope if they keep this up.

I reckon it's got a real catchy sound to it, "Pope Spike I"

Hehehehe, no I'm not I'll just light a few candles tomorrow and talk to Cardinal Zen in the confessional... I love being Catholic. :)

There is nothing wrong with a priest being single. There is a lot wrong when he is forced to do this against his own nature. All over the world, there are children growing up without knowing who their fathers are. this is just the opposite to the way of life Christ was teaching. He was brought to trial by Jewish priests, which goes to show how the belief in God and religion within an organisation is not always the same. The Catholic church has left the way of Christ on this issue, in the same way as many Jews do not keep to the 10 commandments. Pity, they all have so many good points otherwise!

I'll tell you what's confusing, it's that a Catholic Priest can offer Marriage Counseling.

And another thing, if anyone looked like Yoda, well they would have a very hard time finding a mate to begin with.

I'll tell you what's confusing, it's that a Catholic Priest can offer Marriage Counseling.

And another thing, if anyone looked like Yoda, well they would have a very hard time finding a mate to begin with.

I'm pleased to say that I have helped save many a marriage in my time - according to the couples who've sought my help, though my bating score is not perfect.

How you may ask? I suppose it's the same principle that a doctor doesn't have to have the condition that he's treating for someone else.

Yoda by the way like all Jedi Knights is celebate.

........ and as for you Major Liability, why are the great majority of "Michael Jackson's" married men and fathers?

Last edited:

What's confusing you about it? Just because they're not married? Hmm I don't think you have to be insane to be a psychiatrist, nor do you need teeth to be a dentist. I've known a minister or two who's marriages wouldn't be examples that anyone would want to emulate.

Last edited:
What's confusing you about it? Just because they're not married? Hmm I don't think you have to be insane to be a psychiatrist, nor do you need teeth to be a dentist. I've known a minister or two who's marriages would be examples that anyone would want to emulate.

True Top, as I am free and able, and do in fact offer advice on Religion and Religious matters, and I'm not a Priest.

And Padre, last I knew Anakin Skywalker did in fact do the deed, and fathered not only one but 2 Children.

........ and as for you Major Liability, why are the great majority of "Michael Jackson's" married men and fathers?

Good question. Either way, it goes against everything in a man's nature to forfeit the continuance of his genes for an unseen deity.

True Top, as I am free and able, and do in fact offer advice on Religion and Religious matters, and I'm not a Priest.

And Padre, last I knew Anakin Skywalker did in fact do the deed, and fathered not only one but 2 Children.

stuff happens....and he had to turn in his JK card.

I think celibacy had its time, but its an option that is less and less popular as time goes by. Remember there is nothing in the Catholic canon that demands that priests remain celibate, only a tradition that Saint Peter started.

Personally I think its time to give up the requirement, its to much of a burden and increases the likelyhood of an embarrassing sex-scandal.

Things that do not evolve eventually die, and already the dwindling numbers of practicing Catholics shows this.

You can't be trying to blame creeping secularization on the requirement of celibacy in the priesthood. The fact of the matter is that Catholicism is growing in many parts of the world. IUnitl the time comes that the Pope deems it appropriate to change the requirement, then it is part and parcel of the Catholic faith.

I view priestly celibacy as a gift and admire anyone strong enough in their faith and open enough to the calling to accept the gift. To me, to abandon everything for Christ is truly a call from God. This in no way means that it will always be easy, but then no true vocation is always easy.

Celibacy, which describes the state of being unmarried, has been an issue in the Church throughout her history, and there has been much misunderstanding, that continues in recent times. The law requiring a celibate clergy developed over centuries. However, historical documents clearly show that not only is the ideal of celibacy found in the Gospels, but that it was practiced from the very beginning of the Church.

It's true that some of the apostles had wives however, they never lived together as husband and wife once they began to follow Christ. In a recent definitive study, Cardinal Alfons Stickler maintains that celibacy is a mandate from Christ Himself and the Church can only obey it, not change it. Even though the Eastern Orthodox Churches allow their priests to marry, their bishops must be celibate. I think that this is an example indicating that celibacy has always been part of the Tradition.

OK I'm off my soapbox (for now) :)

Last edited:
The requirement of celibacy in the priesthood dates to St Paul in his epistle to his son Timothy. Many different religions around the world and throughout time have used deprivations as a method to increase spirituality. The requirement of celibacy does NOT lead to pedophilia. Take the number of pedophiles in the general population and compare that percentage to that of the number of pedophiles in the priesthood... oh snap!

Last edited:
Back