Vatican reaffirms celibacy for priests (AP)

Imprisoning the pope (Pius VII), massacring Catholic priests, raping nuns, closing parochial schools and seminaries by the French revolution and post-revolution is not persecuting the Catholic Church?

- OK thank you for illuminating me. Silly me, all this time I thought the history books were reliable. :crybaby:

I wouldn't worry about the French getting XXXX its already owned by Lion Nathan Limited so it is owned by a New Zealand company along woth Toohey's and Swan, its all part of a cunning plan to control Australia through the purchase of its breweries.

:)

That'll learn 'em, go right for the jugular.

And Padre, I generally like Aussies better than the French, as I feel we have more in common with Aussies, and I can understand Aussies better when they speak.

I was just pointing out that Holy Church has a longer history in France, and France, as I pointed out earlier, is over 75% Catholic, while checking Australia, it's just under 29% Catholic, with less than 6 million people, while France has nearly 45 million.
So, the Church may also view France as just more important, still to this day.

As far as killing, you know, the Brits killed plenty of Catholics in days gone by, yet Australia and the UK seem to get along today.
In the US there were entire Indian nations wiped off the face of the Earth, and we stole their land, and yet here we are, even though there are Indians still upset about the whole thing, they at least do not attack us over it, and mostly view themselves as part of the Nation has a whole.
I believe the Church in Rome has forgiven France, but you have better connections to Rome.

Imprisoning the pope (Pius VII), massacring Catholic priests, raping nuns, closing parochial schools and seminaries by the French revolution and post-revolution is not persecuting the Catholic Church?

- OK thank you for illuminating me. Silly me, all this time I thought the history books were reliable. :crybaby:

Padre, no offense but your history is really skewed.

Pius VII was captured not by the Revolutionaries, but by Napoleon I. And he wasn't imprisoned because he was Catholic but because he was the leader of a Hostile faction. He was a Prisoner of war (France had occupied Italy).

Secondly the incidents you mention were because of POLITICAL motives. The revolutionaries murdered or imprisoned anybody associated with the King, that included certain religious figures and orders. This was not an attempt to purge France of all Catholics but to purge it of all its links to the Monarchy.

I find it amazing that you can continue to condemn the French (where as Gator pointed out), where such bloodletting was minor compared to other places such as England under Queen Elisabeth I whom persecuted ALL Catholics and used some very draconian methods to do so. The Holy Roman Empire after the Reformation was FAR bloodier to Catholics than what happened in France during the Revolution. You continue to mention the Reign of Terror, it was bloody, but it only last about a year in a half, the massacres I have already mentioned went on for decades. You said your family was from Ireland, you would know then the numbers of Irish Catholics killed by Protestants. And thats has been going on and off since 1200 AD. But somehow you seemed transfixed on the lesser of incidents.

If you really want to bash the French, let me help you. The French persecuted far more Jews in the Dark Ages then they ever did Catholics. Just like you Aussies did to the Aboriginies, just like we Americans did to the Native Americans. Remember what I said about no culture not having blood on its hands?

I think you need to admit that your interpretation of history has more to do of personal anti-French bias than the proper study of historical fact.

Last edited:
"Native Americans" is kind of an arguable point since discussion could be made in how they may come from Mongolian decent.... If I recall they also did some blood letting of their own as well....

But yeah mmarsh makes his point ;)

-edit

Just for ha-has
http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3a22b52343c3.htm

I guess you must draw a line somewhere but then again answer me this I am 12th generation American would that not make me Native to America?

Last edited:
To MontyB Post 40: Churchill? One of Europe's most famous liars, that is why he was such a good politician! Bishop Nathan from Upper-Silesia was just the opposite, he (during WW2) risked his life to save others. Today, he is accused of being a NAZI, just because he did not agree with communism either.
He died sixty years ago this month, after being thrown out of Silesia when the war ended. The person responsible was Cardinal Hlond - also a catholic - who the Poles now want to be a Saint. No justice in this world!

Last edited:
Padre, no offense but your history is really skewed.

Pius VII was captured not by the Revolutionaries, but by Napoleon I. And he wasn't imprisoned because he was Catholic but because he was the leader of a Hostile faction. He was a Prisoner of war (France had occupied Italy).

Secondly the incidents you mention were because of POLITICAL motives. The revolutionaries murdered or imprisoned anybody associated with the King, that included certain religious figures and orders. This was not an attempt to purge France of all Catholics but to purge it of all its links to the Monarchy.

I find it amazing that you can continue to condemn the French (where as Gator pointed out), where such bloodletting was minor compared to other places such as England under Queen Elisabeth I whom persecuted ALL Catholics and used some very draconian methods to do so. The Holy Roman Empire after the Reformation was FAR bloodier to Catholics than what happened in France during the Revolution. You continue to mention the Reign of Terror, it was bloody, but it only last about a year in a half, the massacres I have already mentioned went on for decades. You said your family was from Ireland, you would know then the numbers of Irish Catholics killed by Protestants. And thats has been going on and off since 1200 AD. But somehow you seemed transfixed on the lesser of incidents.

If you really want to bash the French, let me help you. The French persecuted far more Jews in the Dark Ages then they ever did Catholics. Just like you Aussies did to the Aboriginies, just like we Americans did to the Native Americans. Remember what I said about no culture not having blood on its hands?

I think you need to admit that your interpretation of history has more to do of personal anti-French bias than the proper study of historical fact.

All I wated to do - and successfully have done, is to respond to those who uphold France as a shining example of a Catholic nation, with history from the pre-revolutionary, revolutionary and post-revolutionary (Bonaparte) period that shows otherwise. France of course is not alone in her stained Communion dress, and the French do cook better than the poms. My task was simple and I'm satisfied with it.

For me the per centage of Catholics in a country is not the best criteria to judge that nation's Catholicity or Christianity.

Now excuse me while I go watch Babette's Feast.

All I wated to do - and successfully have done, is to respond to those who uphold France as a shining example of a Catholic nation, with history from the pre-revolutionary, revolutionary and post-revolutionary (Bonaparte) period that shows otherwise.

Merely in your own mind Padre, merely in your own mind.

Well, we have a Catholic Priest here at my Parish and he is married with two kids!!! He's an Ex Anglican priest poached back to the fold so to speak.
Also cooks a mean barbie and likes a cold beer.
Unfortunately he barracks for Collingwood!!!! And the Brisbane Broncos!!!
Still we forgive him for that!

All I wated to do - and successfully have done, is to respond to those who uphold France as a shining example of a Catholic nation, with history from the pre-revolutionary, revolutionary and post-revolutionary (Bonaparte) period that shows otherwise. France of course is not alone in her stained Communion dress, and the French do cook better than the poms. My task was simple and I'm satisfied with it.

For me the per centage of Catholics in a country is not the best criteria to judge that nation's Catholicity or Christianity.

Now excuse me while I go watch Babette's Feast.

Padre

I don't think anyone was making that claim, I just don't think its fair to condemn it either. As has already been said, others have done far worse than France.

Furthermore I don't think there is such a thing as a nation that could be called a 'shining light' for Catholics. I mean look at Rome, they used to feed Catholics to lions.

Thats why you are told that if you are going to become a priest that if you cannot stay celibate you may as well take a wife lest you burn in passion that you end up doing the wrong thing.

Back