the value of a day off

Duty Honor Country

keep this in mind in reading the passage below. During my 42 days of fun, I found myself saying that I would have rather been in a combat zone than put in the hours I did.

The Army has a way of making me appreciate things many people take for granted. These last 42 days have made me appreciate the value of just one day off since 22 May was the last time I had a full day off. The first week was not bad; my hours were 0800 to 1700. Anyone can live with those hours and I did PT every night. Then the ROTC cadets arrived and the next 34 days were hell. Cadets normally got up between 0430 or 0500. I had to be up 35 minutes before their wake up to shave and get ready for the day. The reason I have to be their so early is to rate their leadership abilities. Getting a bunch of people motivated to meet the daily mission at 5am is an excellent way to evaluate the cadets. My day would not end until 2200 when the cadets went to bed. By the time I got back, showered and got to bed, it was close to 2245. That time was later on days I needed to do laundry. I received a few hours off every 4 days or so. That time was spent on a bike ride or eating a good meal. By the end of those 34 days, I was too tired and unmotivated to get in a bike ride. On 2 occasions, I was off from 2000 one night to 1700 the following day. But this time off does not meet my definition of a day off. I define a day off as having an evening free to do as one pleases accompanied by the next day being free of any responsibility. Only then does one really have a day off. So after 42 days of work and 34 days of 18 hour work days, I will indulge on 4 days of freedom. I am about to know what its like to be released from a prison. Enjoy the 4th of July!

A full report on the Warrior Forge Experience will be out soon for all you aspiring people who are thinking about ROTC

Doody

Back