Valkyrie

Because, you know, what's a few hundred thousand lives and the destruction of Germany between friends?

Any shortening of the war would have been a positive step.

The movie is pointless, about historical accuracy sometimes questionable and beside that, Stauffenberg and his Comanions (there have been quite a few more involved with important tasks) are overrated. I suppose for the following Reasons: 1. from all the attemts made to assasinate Hitler it came closest to a success.
2. makes the Wehrmacht look a bit better (as the Wehrmacht commanders where mostly quite supportive to Hitler). 3. many, if not most other attempts have been made by communists and other groups from the rather left side. Not very popular in the pre war western countries.
And keep in mind, if he had been successfull, its doubtable the outcome had been something even slightly democratig. We most likely had have a military dictatorship than.
And, in 44 neither the western allies nor the russians had agreed to any contitional surrender anymore. There was just no reason for it.

Historical accuracy aside, I have to say that found the movie very very intriguing, knew of some attempts in general, but nothing in particular of any, also found interesting all the mechanism of Operation Valkyrie itself and the organization of the forces.

The movie is pointless, about historical accuracy sometimes questionable and beside that, Stauffenberg and his Comanions (there have been quite a few more involved with important tasks) are overrated. I suppose for the following Reasons: 1. from all the attemts made to assasinate Hitler it came closest to a success.
2. makes the Wehrmacht look a bit better (as the Wehrmacht commanders where mostly quite supportive to Hitler). 3. many, if not most other attempts have been made by communists and other groups from the rather left side. Not very popular in the pre war western countries.
And keep in mind, if he had been successfull, its doubtable the outcome had been something even slightly democratig. We most likely had have a military dictatorship than.
And, in 44 neither the western allies nor the russians had agreed to any contitional surrender anymore. There was just no reason for it.

I sort of agree as many people look at this as a sign of the military opposition to Hitler however I notice that while Germany was winning the war the military seemed to be quite happy with him in the top job.

I realise there was still opposition to him in the military during the "golden years" but it seems to me that it wasnt until things had really turned to custard that the moral imperative to remove him became "overwhelming".

Back