USMC "Volunteers"

Redneck

I posted this in a different topic, but thought you all might enjoy it, so here it is again:

In Vietnam, my Dad (who was USAF) was in a room full of draftees and recruits and this man in civvies walks in and asks, "Who here wants to be in the Navy?"
Since the Navy was supposed to be the safest duty, half the room stands up and this man takes down their names and then says, "Welcome to the Naval Infantry, boys!" and walks out, having gotten twenty something new Marine volunteers.

That's what you get for volunteering.
I volunteered the fact that I ran cross country in high school. That orange vest and pointy flashlight were the height of fashion :?

:lol: Same thing happened to me at LTC at Ft Knox, man that was fun during roadmarches, sprinting full out with a rubber duck and ruck. Let's you know you're alive :lol: . Although I also got to carry the CLS bag and feel important when they found out I had some EMS training.

I took basic at Ft. Jackson in the winter. Ever try sprinting to the front of the column, fully loaded, in SAND and SNOW?

Ouch. :lol: We do ruck runs on the beach down here, and I've run cross country races in the snow but not both at the same time, sounds fun though. :lol:

Well, there wasn't MUCH snow, but it was darn cold! It's funny that, in an all volunteer military, the first thing you learn is never volunteer. If that's not military intelligence, I don't know what is.

that sucks... voluntering isn't always bad. I volunteered one time and it ended up being a liberty cruise ;)

I volunteered once and I got to go to an airshow in my hometown. That was nice considering that I served 300 km away from home. I just wore my parade-uniform and gave people equipment training, and chatted with the chicks.

I wouldn't say never to volunteer. It also depends on the person who'se asking.

Redneck said:
I posted this in a different topic, but thought you all might enjoy it, so here it is again:

In Vietnam, my Dad (who was USAF) was in a room full of draftees and recruits and this man in civvies walks in and asks, "Who here wants to be in the Navy?"
Since the Navy was supposed to be the safest duty, half the room stands up and this man takes down their names and then says, "Welcome to the Naval Infantry, boys!" and walks out, having gotten twenty something new Marine volunteers.

LOL :lol:

Any volunteers?
Everyone rise hand up -now!
Ok, everyone is a volunteer!

Back