USMC

Bentley

The time is almost here. I turn 17 this thursday and I'm planning on going in and talking to a recruiter. Over the past year or so, I've decided that the military was probably my best choice after high school. I think its my best bet on getting to know the real me and building some confidence in deciding what I want from life. Who knows though maybe it can turn into a career. Any suggestions before I talk to a recruiter? Are they really going to be trying to trick me into things I don't want to do?

Guy, lets face it. when a person trys to sell you a diamond ring for a dime, chances are it ain't worth a nickel.

As a marine, you are going to be a rifleman first, and what ever you manage to agree on by contract, if they have such a beast in the marines like the air force, later. Anything, promises, mos guarantee, educational perks, enlistment bonuses, and any other offer you do not not get on the enlistment contract, wont exist.

Read everything you get on the contract twice forward, and once backwards to make sure its what you and the recruiter have agreed on. If it sounds to good to be true, it probaly is.

Think of yourself as a valuable commodity, and bargain well. I wish you good luck

:D

Marine Corps recruiters are pretty good about being honest. They are going to tell you up front they cannot guarantee you a specific MOS, but only a specific occupational field. There is very little chance they are going to offer you a bonus, there are very few MOSes that offer it.

I would suggest taking a friend or parent with you .. someone with an outside perspective that would be willing to take notes on what is being asked and answered. You get a lot of information, so having it written down will be helpful later when you are trying to remember everything you were told.

The recruiters are going to tell you the all of the good and not much of the bad. Remember that when it comes time to sign the contract. Military service, and the Marine Corps are what you make of it.

Good luck. If you have questions after your visit, post them. The other Marines and myself will answer them if possible.

RnderSafe said:
Marine Corps recruiters are pretty good about being honest. They are going to tell you up front they cannot guarantee you a specific MOS, but only a specific occupational field. There is very little chance they are going to offer you a bonus, there are very few MOSes that offer it.

Military service, and the Marine Corps are what you make of it.

Rndr makes two very good points here....

First, the Corps will only guarantee the area of specialty, i.e. "Infantry", which means you could end up a gunner, thumper (motars), or just a plain grunt, but you are in the infantry MOS. My experience is that once in an infantry MOS, you can usually get some secondaries if you really try and put some effort behind it, but if you don't push the system, you will be in that MOS for at least the first enlistment.

As for getting satisfaction out of the service, it is totally what you make of it. I have seen the same petty crap in business as in the Corps, so don't think it is any better in civilian careers, the grass is just as brown on either side of the fence, just don't let the petty crap get to you. If you have to paint rocks for a day, deal with it.

Back