USMC Questions

EvilMinion

Hello.

I am currently 17, and am looking into joining the Marine Corps very soon. I do however have a few questions.

1. I recently had knee surgery. I had torn Meniscus in my knee, and they had to remove some. I was told I would be out for 6 weeks and on crutches. Well, after the surgery I was told only 3 weeks, and I was supposed to walk on it. It wasn't as bad as they thought. Do you think I will still be able to enlist? I was told probably if I could still run 3 miles no problem.

2. What is the best way to get a parent to go with you to a recruiter and sign your enlistment papers (I plan on enlisting soon, and you have to have your parents signature to enlist if under the age of 18 )? My mom is afraid I will be sent to Iraq, and doesn't want to go. I know many other people have had this same problem, how did you change her mind?

Thanks in advance. Becoming a Marine has been a life-long dream for me, and I will do anything to become one and enlist. I KNOW I can still make it through basic with a bum knee (it's better than before now). It is my dream, and I don't want anything to stop it.

about the knee i dont know so im not going to say either way, the parent issue b/c i enlisted when i was 17, my recruiter came to my house to meet her and get her to sign the papers, my mom is still concerned w/ me going to iraq but she also knew its what i wanted to do so b/c it made me happy she gave me the go ahead, but thats my mom, yours might be different

mommies changing their minds

well i kinda had the same problem you did with the whole mommy not wanting me to... except that i enlisted at 21. my mom still hates the fact that i will be going to Iraq or where ever i get deployed to but she has seen the changes that the Corps has done to me. and for the most part she says that they are good. for the most part. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to let her know that you really want to do this and when she asked you a question about the Corps be able to answer it and if you can't find out and then go back and tell her. also if you are seventeen you have to have your father sign most of the time. so talk to a recruiter and he or she will be able to clarify everything as good as mud! good luck with it!

oh and about the knee you'll prolly have to go through MEPS to find that out they are the final say.

IMO, you should wait till' your 18 to sign the papers yourself w/o the need of a parent signature.

If anything was to happen to you (in Iraq) your mom will have to live with knowing she signed those papers that ultimitely led you going to Iraq, if of course you even go.

Back