USMC option

istealfreefood

I have heard about one option when joiing the Marine Corps, to go to Parris Island after your senior year of highschool, and do Basic during that summer, then go to college right after that, while staying in the Reserves until you graduate, and being able to be called to active duty while you are there. You get in-state tuition for the college that you go to, and after college become an officer. does anyone know more about this, especially the name of the program?

Thanks

ive been in the USMC for over 2yrs now and i have never heard of htis, your best bet is to go talk to a recruiter and ask him about it.

There is such an option. It is called the "92 Day Reservist," it is available only to college/university students.

yes there is, my friend who just got back from boot camp did it...
he went to boot camp right when summer vaca started, then he got back, had one day and then left for college at A&M and is doing the Corps of Cadets there. He is in the reserves and his unit may be called to go to Iraq in November and if they do he will be temporarily unenrolled from college and go to Iraq for his tour...

my friend is also doing "split" something or other. i think it might be split enlistment or something like that. It means that he can not be called to active duty while attending school.

Split option you mean? I don't know what the USMC calls it, but I enlisted in the Army under the split option, where you go to basic one summer, and you have up to a year to ship out to AIT, so you can go to school for a year and drill with a NG or Reserve unit, non-deployable. Best decision I ever made, but that's just me.

yeah, its split option. ym friend is doign that allong with the 92 day reservist. i am thinking about trying to do that too. does anyone know if it would be possible for me to go to Parris Island between my Jr and Sr year of highschool, and then go to Annapolis for college under the 92 day reservist and split option?

You cannot go to bootcamp between your Junior or Senior year, that is an Army option, not Marine Corps. As a Co Gunny at a Reserve unit now, I shudder at the though of having HS kids under my command.

I know this post is old but I just want to make sortof a public service announcment on this, since I was a 92 day reservist, and I read questions about it all over the internet.
The 92 day reserve program sucks
Here's a few things the recruiter will probably tell you about the 92 day reservist program:

Recruiter:"You cant be deployed until you finish school with this contract"
Reality: You will be deployed before finishing school. There is absolutely nothing in that contract that says that you wont be. It can delay you getting deployed for a year, that's it. But if you don't wanna deploy then you should probably stop thinking about joining the Marine Corps, because that's what were about, gettin some.

Recruiter:
"You'll get tuition assistance."
Reality:The RESERVE GI bill, which is whats in effect now, pays peanuts. The new post 9/11 veterans assistance bill thats comin this august will pay more, but just up to 40% for people with only 90 days of active duty, which is what you would have as a 92 day reservist.The Marine Corps isn't gonna help a 92 day reservist with much money for college, if at all. There's a stipend you can get between the OCS 6 week sessions, but its not that much considering the real cost of college these days.

Recruiter:
"You'll get on the job training its gonna be AWESOME!!!"
Reality:You'll check into your unit fresh out of boot camp, with no skills relating to your MOS, so whenever there's a clogged shitter or some brass to be picked up, your there. Every Marine a janitor.
Oh yeah and even other boots fresh out of MOS school rate hazing you,:-:)whip::lol:, since your just out of boot camp with no further training than that,but it gets better after a year.

Last edited:
Back