USMC Motto's

Jarhead0321

The Marine Corps adopted Semper Fidelis as its official motto in 1883 (Semper Fidelis is also the title of the official musical March of the Marine Corps). Translated from Latin, Semper Fidelis means "Always Faithful." U.S. Marines use an abbreviated verbal version, "Semper Fi," to voice loyalty and commitment to their Marine comrades-in-arms. Previous mottos of the Marine Corps were
(1) To the Shores of Tripoli, adopted in 1805
(2) Fortitudine or fortitude adopted in 1812 ( I asked around and both forms where commonly used thanks for pointing it out)
(3) From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli, adopted in 1848
(4) By Sea and by Land, adopted in the 1850's.

Added this info to the Marines motto section now.
Thanks again for the info Jarhead.

Jarhead are you sure that "To the Shores of Tripoli" was there motto? I thought it was just part of the "Marines hymn"? the same with 3 and 4.

i think he meant to say it was added at that time to the Marine Hymn

because the marine hymn has been modified as the wars have been fought.

No It was also the motto of the Marines before they adopted Semper Fi most of the older motto's where ripped from the British royal Marines.

"Retreat hell we just got here"

"We are surrounded that simpifies our problem"

"Marines die that is what we are made for but the Marine Corps lives forever that means You live forever"

"We're not surround we can just shoot in any direction"

OOORRRAHH!!!!!!!!!!! :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

"I would sacrifice an entire Division of Marines to get a medal of Honor"
-Chesty Puller-

Ya, the above is a real quote. :x

The internet is unrelyable, check out a biography on old war mongering Chesty and you will see the quote. I will research which book I read it in, it has been a while. It is published though.

Cpl S said:
"I would sacrifice an entire Division of Marines to get a medal of Honor"
-Chesty Puller-

Ya, the above is a real quote. :x

Must not have worked.... than again, he did get 5 Navy Crosses and a whole shlue of other awards that would take an entire page to put on...

Wait, I thought he also you weren't a real Marine till you're NJP'd? Chesty was a crazy man... crazy indeed

Hi every one, this is my first post.
Hey Cpl S you sure Chesty said that, double check your sources then triple check, because for him that just seems like an urban legend made up by an enemy or something.

He was the most highly decorated Marine ever, started out as a private but retired a 3 star general, won 5 navy crosses, I could name all the medals he earned, but then my fingers would hurt.

General Lewis B. Puller never said that. That was misinformation distributed by his detractors during the Korean War.
He supposedly said that during the battle for Pelilu in 1944 when the 1st Marine Regt, Took nearly 70% causalties.

"Good Night Chesty! Where ever you are!"

umm whats the USMC reacon's motto?
i know the SBS one and the SAS one and the rangers one but i dont know the USMC reacon one.

Back