USMC bans Under Armour type clothing in Iraq

Duty Honor Country

CAMP TAQADDUM, Iraq, April 12, 2006 – Marines conducting operations outside forward operating bases and camps in Iraq can no longer wear synthetic athletic clothing containing polyester and nylon, Marine Corps commanders have ordered.

he ban on popular clothing from companies like Under Armour, CoolMax and Nike comes in the wake of concerns that a substantial burn risk is associated with wearing clothing made with these synthetic materials, officials said. When exposed to extreme heat and flames, clothing containing some synthetic materials like polyester will melt and can fuse to the skin. This essentially creates a second skin and can lead to horrific, disfiguring burns, said Navy Capt. Lynn E. Welling, the 1st Marine Logistics Group head surgeon.

Whether on foot patrol or conducting a supply convoy while riding in an armored truck, everyone is at risk to such injuries while outside the wire.
"Burns can kill you and they're horribly disfiguring. If you're throwing (a melted synthetic material) on top of a burn, basically you have a bad burn with a bunch of plastic melting into your skin, and that's not how you want to go home to your family," said Welling.

According to Tension Technology International, a company that specializes in synthetic fibers, most man-made fabrics such as nylon, acrylic or polyester will melt when ignited and produce a hot, sticky, melted substance. This can cause extremely severe burns.

For these reasons, Marines have been limited to wearing clothing made with these materials only while on the relatively safe forward operating bases and camps where encounters with fires and explosions are relatively low, officials said.

These products have risen in popularity in the past few years and are now sold at military clothing stores. Some companies have come out with product lines specifically catering to military needs. This makes polyester clothing readily available to servicemembers, said Welling.

The Under Armour company, a favorite among many servicemembers here, advertises that the fabric used to make their garments will pull perspiration from the skin to the outer layer of the clothing. This, the ads say, allows the person wearing it to remain cool and dry in any condition or climate.

While these qualities have been a main reason for Marines to stock up on these items, the melting side effect can be a fatal drawback, said Welling.

This point was driven home recently at a military medical facility at Camp Ramadi, a U.S. military base on the outskirts of the city of Ramadi, arguably one of the most dangerous cities in Iraq. "We had a Marine with significant burn injuries covering around 70 percent of his body," said Navy Cmdr. Joseph F. Rappold, the officer in charge of the medical unit at the base.

The Marine was injured when the armored vehicle he was riding in struck an improvised explosive device, causing his polyester shirt to melt to his skin. Even though he was wearing his protective vest, Navy doctors still had to cut the melted undergarment from his torso. His injuries would not have been as severe had he not been wearing a polyester shirt, said Rappold.

Burns have become a common injury in Iraq as the enemy continues to employ IEDs and roadside bombs. Currently, these hidden explosives are the No. 1 killer of servicemembers in Iraq, said Welling.

For years, servicemembers with jobs that put then at a high risk of flame exposure, such as pilots and explosive ordnance disposal personnel, were kept from wearing polyester materials because of the extra burn threat. Now, with so many encounters with IED explosions, the Marines are extending this ban to everyone going outside the wire, officials said.

With the approach of summer, temperatures during some days are expected to hover around 130 degrees Fahrenheit. These blistering temperatures spur many to wear the the moisture-wicking, quick-drying clothing in an attempt to beat the heat and stay cool.

"I understand it gets to be 150 degrees in a turret during the summer time," said Welling. "My goal is not to make it more uncomfortable or harder on the servicemembers. My job is to make sure that when they hit an IED and are engulfed in flames, they have the best protection possible and the least risk of something (going wrong) that could have been prevented."

The directive is straightforward and simple, Welling said. "The goal is not to bubble wrap the warrior going outside the gate. The idea is to minimize the (hazards) we have control over," said Welling.

Commanders have expressed concern that troops will downplay the problem of wearing wicking materials in combat settings because they think their body armor or uniforms will protect them.

The camouflage utility uniforms are designed to turn to ash and blow away after the material is burned, but the burn hazard remains, said Welling. She recommends wearing 100 percent cotton clothing while on missions.
So far, Marines have been responding well to the new regulations.

"The policy is good because it's designed for safety and is about keeping Marines in the fight," said Cpl. Jason Lichtefeld, a military policeman with the 1st Marine Logistics Group, who plans to ensure his Marines comply with the new rules.

Even Marines who never venture off base should be aware of the risks associated with wearing the wicking fabrics, officials said.

For example, a Marine's high-performance undershirt recently started smoking when an electrical current shocked him. Fortunately, it didn't catch on fire or melt, but the potential was there, said Welling.

Officials acknowledged that high-performance apparel may be the best way to stay cool when working in a low-risk environment with a minimal chance of exposure to flames or intense heat. "We've got a great piece of gear, but when you put it in the wrong environment, it could cause more problems than it's worth," said Welling.

http://www.emilitary.org/article.php?aid=6223

5.56X45mm said:
Strange, becasue the Under Armour type shirt is now standard issue in the US Army.

ACU has polyester as well. I have seen a few cases with the sleeves and trousers melting to skin.

UA will definitely shrink wrap itself into your skin when it burns. It's an ugly mess. I still wear it sometimes, though.

As an alternative, I've spent a few hundred dollars purchasing these shirts lately:

http://massif.com/nomex_clothing/cool_knit_t-shirt.php

They're not cheap, but they work and it's worth the money.

You can always go with silk, as well.

Yes, the Nomex material is more burn resistant. It has a higher flash tolerance. This means it takes a longer time for certain amount of heat to be applied (up to 800F for several seconds I think) before it will melt/burn.

Below are some links to nomex gloves. The USMC also had some nomex hoods made because the current cold weather hoods we have are made from synthetics as well.

Military.com Shopping

DuPont Website

My Sgt was reading an article yesterday about this same subject and was peeved off because they were putting restrictions on what a Marine can and can not wear to combat. He made some pretty ignorant (uninformed) comments. My computer was down so I was unable to link the article. My computer is now up so when I get back to work Tuesday I will have to show him this link.

PJ24 do you have any firsthand experience with this kind of thing happening (The synthetic material melting to skin)? If so could you toss me an e-mail or a PM regarding generalities?

My Sgt is in supply and has never seen combat or come under fire or been near explosions when they have gone off. He apparently does not think about what all is involved when an explosion happens. (Shrapnel, Heat, Sound, Blast Wave, etc) I guess he thinks that if an IED goes off and you are out of the "kill zone" that you won't be harmed.:shock: :shock:

Well, from my experience.

The synthetic material shirts do melt into the skin. But so does the ALICE Gear, MOLLE Gear, and PAL Gear. All of the modern day combat gear is made out of synthetic materials. Boots, socks, uniforms, web gear, and just about everything else.

I have been in the fryer and luckly nothing melted to me.

5.56X45mm said:
Well, from my experience.

The synthetic material shirts do melt into the skin. But so does the ALICE Gear, MOLLE Gear, and PAL Gear. All of the modern day combat gear is made out of synthetic materials. Boots, socks, uniforms, web gear, and just about everything else.

I have been in the fryer and luckly nothing melted to me.

But that gear (aside from the socks) is not usually worn aginst the skin. I wear a cotton boot sock as do most Marines. As for the utility uniform, if you read the article you will see that it has been designed to turn to ash and blow away from the body. Not turn into a gooey, tacky mess that will drape and conform itself to your body when it melts.

I have seen a victim of a burn who was wearing a pair of nylon compression shorts. A very nasty mess. It was a civilian accident but the burns were complicated by having liquified, now hardened, plastic throughout the burn. I think the ban is a very wise move.

http://www.burnsurgery.org/Modules/initial_mgmt/sec_1.htm

The above link is an incredible source for professionals about burns.

Last edited:
Marinerhodes said:
My Sgt is in supply and has never seen combat or come under fire or been near explosions when they have gone off. He apparently does not think about what all is involved when an explosion happens. (Shrapnel, Heat, Sound, Blast Wave, etc) I guess he thinks that if an IED goes off and you are out of the "kill zone" that you won't be harmed.

You can add flash fires into that. Burns and shrapnel are the most common injuries due to IED attacks. Have a SSgt smack him upside the head. :mrgreen:

100% cotton is your best option. We made due with it for years, and I'll still wear it sometimes. The shirts I posted a link to aren't much more expensive than UA and work great.

All of my balaclavas, gloves, etc are nomex (you get about 8 seconds) or proban (around 3 or 4).

This is some excellent information bro. Thanks for the help. Maybe those that I pass this on to will be able to see what I mean.

My Dad had been electrocuted way back when. He was up on a power pole doing whatever he was doing, he touched the wrong line and got blown off it. Spent months in the hospital, skin grafts etc. He wears a permanent necklace, watchband and ring of scar tissue fro the jewelry he was wearing at the time. I guess the voltage that went trhough his body melted it into his skin.

He is still alive so something saved his butt. The doctors at the time were amazed that he even survived it.

But isn't the upper layer of the uniform of fire resistant materials. Or has the materials been altered to stand the sweltering heat of Iraq? The Dutch parka's can stand a blast and even open fire for a while... then again, I don't know what materials they use for desert uniforms. Do you guys know?
And it has got to be the most ironic thing in the world that you don your vests because of fire hazerd and then you receive a round to the chest. I am so glad I don't have to make decisions like that... I wouldn't know in which hole to crawl of someone died because of my errors of judgement!

Ted said:
But isn't the upper layer of the uniform of fire resistant materials. Or has the materials been altered to stand the sweltering heat of Iraq? The Dutch parka's can stand a blast and even open fire for a while... then again, I don't know what materials they use for desert uniforms. Do you guys know?
And it has got to be the most ironic thing in the world that you don your vests because of fire hazerd and then you receive a round to the chest. I am so glad I don't have to make decisions like that... I wouldn't know in which hole to crawl of someone died because of my errors of judgement!

I currently have issued, along with BDUs/DCUs, MARPAT and ACUs. Both the MARPAT and ACUs contain polyester. Most gear is flammable, as well. The difference being, the gear is not directly against your skin.

This directive isn't about body armor or flak vests, it is about undershirts (tee-shirts) many wear under their blouse and armor system. A lot of the synthetic wicking shirts are flammable because of the materials they are made from. This is the layer that is closest to your skin, so it does the most damage.

Marinerhodes said:
Also the DCU, ACU and MARPAT is supposed to burn to ash and not make a melted gooey mess.

ACUs will melt some as they're 50% polyester. I believe MARPAT is 30%, but don't quote me. Haven't seen MARPAT melt, but I have seen the ACU melt (usually in blotches) to portions of skin on the arms and legs.

Thanks for the correction. I was going off of an article I had read in the Marine Times. I assumed that the ACU and DCU would be made from the same materials as MARPAT.

Marinerhodes said:
Yes, the Nomex material is more burn resistant. It has a higher flash tolerance. This means it takes a longer time for certain amount of heat to be applied (up to 800F for several seconds I think) before it will melt/burn.

Below are some links to nomex gloves. The USMC also had some nomex hoods made because the current cold weather hoods we have are made from synthetics as well.

Military.com Shopping

DuPont Website

which is why Nomex is a standard piece of equipment in many special operations balaclavas, gloves, etc.

Back