Useless info of the day: Worlds largest prime number :)

Redleg

The fire is everything
Staff member
Useless info, but it may be interesting for some... 8)

"On February 18, 2005, Dr. Martin Nowak from Germany, found the new largest known prime number, 225,964,951-1. The prime number has 7,816,230 digits! It took more than 50 days of calculations on Dr. Nowak's 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 computer. The new prime was independently verified in 5 days by Tony Reix of Grenoble, France using a 16 Itanium CPU Bull NovaScale 5000 HPC running the Glucas program by Guillermo Ballester Valor of Granada, Spain. A second verification was completed by Jeff Gilchrist of Elytra Enterprises Inc. in Ottawa, Canada using 15 days of time on 12 CPUs of a Compaq Alpha GS160 1.2 GHz CPU server at SHARCNET. "

Here's the number by the way:
http://www.mersenne.org/prime8.txt
Warning: do not open it if you're on Dial-up (unless you have a LOT of spare time available..)
The file (containing only one number!) is over 8mb... :)

Looks like someone's got WAY too much spare time.. :lol:

I heard that there was a Prime Number that large, but I didn't think that it would have that many digits. I wonder when they'll discover the next one...

oh my god.

I thought that thing was huge, then I noticed that my computer had only finnished downloading less than 1/2 of the number :eek:

at least they realised they found it, when a distributed computing group tried to break 64bit encryption they broke it, but didn't find the notice that said they did it for a good two weeks because there were so many "nope, this aint it" messages on their system :lol:

please tell me that was not government funding?

and some girls arent loud, ya know, you just wouldnt know because you cant hear them. :)

Back