The use of word abbreviations

LIPS

The use of word abbreviations

Should we encourage our children to use abbreviations when using the Net or should we encourage them to write the whole word?

The reason for asking this is over the past few years I have noticed that, in particular, the young men that are new to the Army are finding it hard to express themselves using full sentences and whole words.

With SMS and the Net I understand the need for brevity but I feel we are doing them a disservice by not encouraging them to write their words in full.

What do you think?

i think it is up to the parents. if they allow their kids talk like that, them let them. im young to, but i only abbr. when i dont no ho to spell the whole word or the only way i know how to say it (ex. BDUs)

I can't really see parents forcing their kids to use correct grammar on the internet, especially when they are talking to their friends on AIM, Yahoo, MSN, or whatever, which is what most kids do these days.

I wouldn't encourage my kids to do that. It only produces bad grammar later. But if they write papers and school work is fine then I don't see the point in controlling the way they type online.

well i usually use em w/e i am talkin on the net /w my friends :p

but i a straight A student in AP clases so i am fine

cuz dat is the way we be rollin :rambo:

Back