Use of Support Contractors, US Military

Topmaul

In conversation yesterday we had discussed one of the contracts that is coming up for a major support function on my base, no big deal, let me add the current contractor is doing an outstanding job! As it turns out someone asked who is writing the scope of work for the new contract? When that question was answered it was a contractor that works for one of our major commands on the base.

In a nut shell we have contractor A running a support function contractor B is writhing the Scope of work, and contractor B wants the contract. So Contractor B will have the scope of work written so that they will get the contract.

Contractors writing contracts is a huge mistake and can only lead to trouble. Of course this contract will be reviewed but still I'm sure it will hit the streets in pretty much the same way it's presented.

Damned contractors.
Other than whether they're good or not, the government (i.e. the tax payers) are getting screwed. Invest a lot of money to train a guy for free, lose him, and have him return and charge as much as a guy who just blew a crapload of money learning a skill in an expensive university.

Here is an example I work closely with a retired Warrant Officer, he is a good man CWO-4 with 30 year in is a pretty good chunk of change, he makes six figures in addition to his retirement as a contractor. How can this be cost effective? We trained him gave him experiance that we still need, and are paying through the nose for what he knows. :bang:

Here is an example I work closely with a retired Warrant Officer, he is a good man CWO-4 with 30 year in is a pretty good chunk of change, he makes six figures in addition to his retirement as a contractor. How can this be cost effective? We trained him gave him experiance that we still need, and are paying through the nose for what he knows. :bang:

In this case I say good for him. If he can get the gig he ought to jump on it. Retired and with 30. I'd say the Military got their investment back. He's earned the right to make six figures. He's still probably not making what retired Flag Officers do when they hire on to "consult" for defense contractors.

If we are worried about losing people from the military to contracting jobs then we have to give them a reason to stay. I've seen guys that were top notch leave because of slow promotions or becoming terminal in grade. That has to be addressed. The Military will never be able to match the money, thats a fact, but there are things that can be done to retain good people. Adjust deployment tempo's, adjust promotions etc.

Back