USAF? or Navy?

I guess Ill take Army ROTC.. Navy and Army scholorships pay higher.. and doesnt pay as much as the other branches.. I guess its because theres less officers in the Army? well I like them guns and tanks :) mmm..

JulesLee said:
I guess Ill take Army ROTC.. Navy and Army scholorships pay higher.. and doesnt pay as much as the other branches.. I guess its because theres less officers in the Army? well I like them guns and tanks :) mmm..

Less officers? No. Marine Corps has the least, they're smaller, unless you consider the Coast Guard. Army and Air Force have the most officers.

ServiceTotal Active Duty PersonnelPercentage FemaleEnlistedOfficersArmy500,20315.2%414,32569,307Marine Corps176,2026.0%157,15019,052Navy375,52114.5%319,92955,592Air Force358,61219.6%285,52073,091Coast Guard40,15110.7%31,2867,835Total1,450,68914.9%1,196,210254,479
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Military lol use that link..

marine has least(8 to 1).. then army(6 to 1).. then navy(5.5ish to1) ; af cg (around 4 enlisted 1 officer)all have about the same ratio.

how come theres more officers in AF and CG? is it cuz airpower rule? D:

Last edited:
Oh and Jules, don't have your heart set on getting the Four Year ROTC scholarship. I don't know what school you are going to or how many people take ROTC at that school, but at South Dakota State University where I will be taking ROTC there was one four year scholarship available and although it has not been made clear who got it I am pretty sure I didn't since I bombed the PT test. (It was my first time doing any work since my knee surgery so I have a prety good excuse, IMO.) My advice, if you are set on going to school and draining a branch of the military after school join the Guard, up to $20,000 enlistment bonus, lots of financial aid for school, the Montgomery GI Bill, etc. will greatly help and if what I have been told is correct so long as you do not accept any scholarship money from the Guard you can join the service of your choice afer you graduate.

Last edited by a moderator:
GO US NAVY. Navy I believe is the better choice. my parents wanted me to go Air Force and I looked into them and prefer more travel with the Navy

youngCAPcadet said:
Well-in a few months (after I turn 15) I will be going to the local Navy and USAF recruiters.

You are 15 and seeing a recruiter?

Sorry, but that makes no sense...!

mmarsh said:
I have never been in the service, but I think your question might have an easy solution.

If you go Navy there is a chance you'll be put on a ship. (Yes I know there are many land-based Navy jobs. But you never know where you could wind up).

If I were you, I would ask myself, if I could stand being at sea for several months at a time? If the answer is 'no', then I doubt the Navy is for you. If the answer is 'yes' than I'd follow DTOP's advice.

Don't take this as an insult, but if you've never served you cannot know what type of adventures you can find from being on a cruise. Let alone the great challenges of duty while on those cruises.

I did a 10 month cruise during Vietnam on an aircraft carrier, we were on Yankee Station for some of the longest line periods at that time, but we did make some stops for liberty that were great.

Later I did a cruise on a smaller ship to the North Atlantic, we visited Tromso Norway, Stockholm Sweden (the crew not on duty had lunch with the King), Amsterdam, and Edinburgh Scotland. We had great times in all of those port visits.

As for the Air Force over Navy or vice versa, I naturally would recommend the Navy. I did 8 years active and 20 1/2 years reserve, if I had it all to do over I'd have stayed active for as long as I could. Time seems interminable(sp) when you are young, but when you grow older you see that it races by.

The training offered by the services is typically very high quality, I've heard independent sources admit that Navy technical training is the best. If you are looking for something that you can take with you and apply after you leave the service I'd again recommend the Navy.

I work with an Air Force retiree that was in the same basic field I was in, he feels that his training was more systems oriented than component level oriented. He could black box exchange and get a plane in the air again, but I could do the same thing without having to send parts of my equipment off to a depot for someone else to repair.

The Naval Air side might be more like the Air Force with their technical repair as keeping them in the air is paramount to everyone.

At least you have chosen the two best!! IMHO!

The adventure DOES start when you raise your hand ...

Senior Chief is correct about one thing ... the Navy has one of the greatest placement track records for service members of any of the services. More members (per thousand), have good paying jobs within 90 days of separation ... as a matter of fact, the Navy's record for placement prior to separation is better than any other service.

If personal challenge is your "bag", deployments can offer you the opportunity of personal challenge and reward. While deployed, many of the liberty ports are in far-away and exotic lands.

So, along with the excellent chance of being able to visit so many of the exotic places most Americans can only read about, at the end of a six year tour of duty you have a better chance of landing a good paying job than other non-Navy service members upon separation.

I have personally served in the US Army and the US Navy .....

This is why I can in good conscience recommend the Navy as an occupation. The adventure DOES start when you raise your hand and are sworn in.

Last edited:
The important fact is you are anxious to serve your country.

Congratulations for trying to join an elite club regardless of the uniform you end up wearing.

If you are thinking of joining a service because of the travel, forget about it. Even the Chief would have a hard time showing a balance between 10 months on station and a few 24 hour port calls.

Whatever program you approach, be sure you will learn a transferable skill that you can use in the civilian world when you leave, whether you leave at 2 years or 20 years. Because you will leave sometime and you need something to show for the years of your life you'll invest in serving your country.

Good Luck, Buddy. And remember....no matter what they say, no war is ever over by Christmas.

I keep hearing people say, "it depends if you want to be on a ship" when I ask them about the Navy. After doing research on my own (reading .pdf publications 600 pgs each of Navy and AF jobs) I discovered that the jobs in the AF are seemingly quite different than the jobs in the Navy. So I guess the way I see it is to add on to whether you like being on a ship or not there is a question of what kind of job you want. http://usmilitary.about.com is a good information source for the jobs available in each division of the military.

Back